Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Trying to get new video card and processor

• Please log in to reply

Mike28

Mike28

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hello there my names Mike and i have a few questions. First of all bare with me because im not the greatest at computers. What im looking to do is upgrade my video card and processor with a better one. Now, some people say i should build a new one but i dont have the money for that.

Anyways this is the specs of my system ( its pretty old)
Processor: AMD Athlon 64 3500+
Motherboard: Asus Nvidia nForce 4 (or if this helps, i dont know how to to tell the exact motherboard) ASUS A8N-E ACPI BIOS REVERSION 1005
Video card: nvidia geforce 6600

im trying to get a nvidia 8800gts
http://www.newegg.co...N82E16814143119

now im also looking to get a new processor but i have no idea where to look. I dont think theres many available because of my motherboard, but i dont know.
also my computer is mainly for gaming if it helps.

edit: I have the specs of my whole computer i just didn't know what all you needed.

thanks for the help
Mike

Edited by Mike28, 10 March 2008 - 03:02 AM.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Realistically the card is going to be too powerful for the rest of the computer. By that I mean the card is very good but the rest of the hardware inside the computer is slower than the card. It'll spend more time waiting around for the rest of the hardware to catch up.

You'll be hard-pushed to find a processor for that board now, and even then any upgrades will probably not be worth it, in fact you'll be better off replacing the board, the processor and the memory at the same time.

Edited by Neil Jones, 10 March 2008 - 03:54 PM.

Mike28

Mike28

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
ahh yes i figured i would i have to get a new motherboard. Is there a way to tell if i buy a new motherboard processor and a video card that everything else will fit thats on it?

because i if i buy all 3 of those things i don't want to have to build a brand new computer.

thanks
Mike

Edited by Mike28, 10 March 2008 - 09:52 PM.

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Unfortunately you have to change the processor, the memory and the motherboard if you want that graphics card. This is essentially changing the guts of the computer so most people would classify it as being effectively a new computer. You may also need a new hard drive as well unless you have a SATA drive now because new boards only have enough space for either two CD units or one CD unit and a hard drive on the same cable.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Hi there,

While we're at it, there's another few points you'd need to consider:
  • If your current version of Windows XP is an OEM version, then you'll need to purchase a new XP (or Vista) license for the new motherboard. If you have a retail version, though, you will be able to install it on the upgraded system no problem. It all comes down to the fact that Microsoft tie the OEM license to the motherboard - if you upgrade the motherboard, you need a new license.
  • You would also need to upgrade your PSU to handle the 8800GTS - these are a very power-hungry card.
My suggestion is to keep your current system intact. The parts you have listed should all run well together. Keep saving your $$$ until such time as you have enough for a new build.

Cheers

Troy