Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

USB Flash Drive mounting as Local Disk

• Please log in to reply

jester620

jester620

• PipPipPip
  • 150 posts
Ok, here's a new one on me.

I have two flash drives:
1 GB Lexar Jump Drive Lightning (I've had it for ~2 yrs)
2 GB SanDisk Cruzer Micro (I've had it for ~1 yr)

When I plug in the Lexar drive, Windows mounts it as a Local disk.
When I plug in the Cruzer drive, Windows mounts it as a Removable disk.

Has anyone else ran into this issue before?

It doesn't matter how i format these drives, they still mount the same way... ideas?

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
What drive letters are they coming up as in My Computer?
A potential cause is that if the 1Gb drive is coming up as Drive E (for example) and you previously had a Hard Drive as Drive E, then that could explain it.

In all honesty though, as long as you can write data to and from the drives and stop them before removing, I really wouldn't worry about it, minor cosmetic issue.

jester620

jester620

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts
They both work fine, however I have ran into problems getting my lexar to be recognized on some older machines.

I help a lot of people around here (elderly community in the middle of Kansas) that have either no internet access for drivers or are running win98 (ie minimal driver support in windows for USB). I've found that i cannot use my lexar on those older machines. The only reasoning I can come to is the difference in the way window mounts them.

I really want to be able to run both drives regardless of machine i'm working on. what could be causing them to mount differently?

As per your previous idea, that was my first idea too. I've used disk management to change the drive letter/path for the drives and it doesn't change anything.

ideas?

ukbabe

ukbabe

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I have a Kingston USB2.0 Data Traveler that shows up as "removable disk E" in My Computer but the dialogue box does not appear on my screen. I went into Options, then "add/remove hardware" it states that the datatraveler is in good working condition. I can not drag and drop any files to the removable disk. Help please! Any idea :)

shard92

shard92

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts
as far as the lexar and windows 98 as long as it is 98se you need to download the driver and either put it on a floppy disk or on a cd. Once you run the driver you should be able to use that lexar on that computer.... If you use a different ( particularly a newer... not bigger necessarily but newer ) then you might need to run the driver again.