Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Graphics Card - Boot Up Probs

• Please log in to reply

runningneck

runningneck

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Hey all,

Im kinda new to this so sorry if I dont make much sense but i'll try and see if you can help me out.

I recently bought an Sapphire ATI radeon 9600xt for my computer that is currently running 64mb onboard graphics. I had no trouble installing the card, but once it is placed in the AGP slot the computer will no longer boot. The light and beep sounds dont occur and the monitor indicates that it is going into stand by. I attempted to disable the card through BIOS but there is no option allowing it, only the option to change it from reading PCI to AGP/Onboard. Even following the manual to the finest detail will not work. It seems there is no way to boot the system with the new card in! As soon as the card is removed every thing is swell again.

Now the computer is a Hewlett-Packard pavillion a420a.
AMD Athalon 2800+
512 MB ddr
40 GB

I know HP comps are difficult to work around but is there any way of easily sorting this out? Because I am absolutly stumped and so are my mates so if any one can help it would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

Advertisements

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Hi,

Could you try the card in another computer? if the computer refuses to post/boot it would be a bad card or bad apg slot.

Rick

PicoTTo

PicoTTo

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
Have you got the power cable going into your card? i dont mean the monitor cable but there should be a cable from your Power Supply that then goes into your g.card, probly a silly question but ya never know

:tazz:

audioboy

audioboy

• PipPipPip
  • 857 posts
when in BIOS, are you setting it to boot to the AGP? you would need to do that, save the changes and shut down. then pull the PCI video card, load the AGP card in, and power up. it should come up with low settings, at which point you will install the drivers and be good to go.
before you do all that, check device manager, make sure the drivers are there for the AGP slot.

runningneck

runningneck

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Thnx for the help guys. I tried in another comp so at least now I know its not the actual card. Ill have a go at finding the power cable except I dont think it has one *shrugs* i'll look closer. As for the AGP drivers thats a good idea i'm lookin at them now...it mite be that simple :tazz:

PicoTTo

PicoTTo

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
Ahh, i have just looked up your card it doesnt have the slot for a power cable so ignore what i put.

I have a 9800 pro you see and requires a power lead from your power supply to plug directly into your card and if it is not plugged in you cant boot and get millions of error beeps

http://www.pctuning....o_top_1_big.jpg

Click above to see what i mean and look top right of the card where the power slot is.