Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

XP install windows

• Please log in to reply

Gunnwulf

Gunnwulf

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Hi all,

I have just put together a new PC (Q6600 G0, 8800 GTS, P5K Premium WI-FI AP, 2G Crucial Balistix 1066).

Everything was going so well. Hardware was in my Antec P180 case and all wired up. I started the beast up and selected my cd drive to boot XP up. Everything at this point goes ok, windows loads, I select a Hard drive, create a partition, format it and then the basic windows files trasfer over etc, then once that is done the PC restarts and begins and POSTs etc.

Here comes the nasty part. At the point at which the Windows GUI install should start the PC just restarts and starts POST again, restarts, etc. Over and over and over.

Rather anoying. I had a old version of the BIOS on the mobo so my first thought was to flsh that, which I did, but to no avail. I tried using a different hard drive, no luck there. I confirmed that the drive was being detected in the BIOS, which it was. I checked all the cabling and the SATA ports were suited for booting etc, no problem there.

I have a feeling that this might be a SATA issue, having looked up issues with the MB, but I havn't seen anyone else with the same simptoms. What would you guys think??

Thanks in advance.

Advertisements

Gunnwulf

Gunnwulf

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Any thoughts?

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
The problem seems to be of a hardware origin and a systematic hardware test must be performed. So far You replaced the hard disk and confirmed that the repalacement and the original were recognized in the BIOS. Even further, the fact that format was successful and files copied into the hard disk, minimize the option of a faulty hard disk.

This was quoted fropm Asus:

"The chipset officially supports the memory frequency up to DDR2 800MHz.
Tuned by ASUS Super Memspeed Technology, this motherboard natively supports up to DDR2 1066MHz
Please refer to www.asus.com or user manual for Memory QVL."

If I understand this correctly then Asus sped-up the chipset by some wizardry. Please, in the BIOS, set the memory to run on 800 Mhz and not 1066. If there is any overclocking, of any kind, please cancel it.

Try XP installation. If not successful we'll continue with other tests, starting with the memory.

Gunnwulf

Gunnwulf

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Thanks for the reply,

No luck with that, I changed the RAM speed to 800.

The last time that I started the PC i held F8 to get to the advanced boot prompt and selected safe mode, XP starts to load and gets to a file called MUP.sys and goes no further.

I have also tried loading alternative sata drivers over floppy, but with no change of situation.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
I have a feeling that either the cpu or motherboard are faulty. Before reaching that conclusion, however, it would be good to test the memory modules. Please download, using the list of links below, Microsoft Memory diagnostic tool. Follow the instructions and create a bootable cd. Run the test for about 30 minutes and report if there are any errors.

If no errors are found try to move the video card to another slot and see if it makes any difference. Even better, if you have another video card try to use it.

Gunnwulf

Gunnwulf

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Ok, I ran the mem test. No errors, I ran it for about 2 hours. Also I tried moving the GPU to the second PCIe slot, equaly that has made no change.

Lots of dead ends!! Little progress!

Oh Well.

Anything else that I can test?

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,065 posts
Stupid question time.

Does that mother board have native support for SATA drives or does it require that you load the driver during XP install, when it prompts you to press F6?

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
I don't think the problem is with the SATA drive or driver. Modern motherboards do not need any SATA driver other then those installed by windows.

I am afraid that the motherboard or cpu are defective. The only way to test this is with a bootable, dedicated program which cost a lot of money or to replace the cpu and see what happens. If good, then the original cpu is defective. if no good, then the mother board is faulty. I hope they are still under guarantee.

Gunnwulf

Gunnwulf

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Well thats a shame, I was hoping that I woudn't have to worry about RMAs etc. Fortunatly the CPU was a retail package - even tho I am using an arctic cooler anyway. Plus the motherboard was only bought a month ago and the company I got it from seem happy enough to replace it.

I dont have another 775 board to test the CPU on so I have plummed to trade in the MOBO first of all. I'll set that up and see if it makes any difference. If it doesn't then I'll do the same with the CPU.

I'll update with the results which should be in a few days time.