Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Vista Update Problems. Help, Please!

• Please log in to reply

Manners

Manners

• PipPipPip
  • 181 posts
:)
I have a Compaq Presario SR5030NX with Pentium 4 and Vista Home Basic. It about 8 months old.

A few days ago, Vista updated automatically. All was fine. Suddenly last evening, it crashed and I got the dreaded BSD. I was so shocked that I forgot to look for error codes. I immediately started it in Safe Mode and ran AVG Virus, AVG Anti-Spyware and Spybot. No problems other than medium risk cookies.

When I went to restart in normal mode, Vista did another huge update, but didn't seem to need to restart machine. Odd. The entire screen is strange now. Small fonts. Different colors. It looks much more like XP or 98 now. Programs now have different colors and generally appear differently. Backgrounds are dirfferent. The signature circle goodie of Vista is gone. Wierd.

Is anyone else having these problems? How do I find out what is wrong??? How do I get it back to the way it was??????

I would gladly post something for you to look at to see the problem but I don't know what that would be!

Thank you so much in advance for your help.
Manners

Advertisements

pollz

pollz

Spammer

• Banned
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
:)

Edited by Essexboy, 11 March 2008 - 03:27 PM.

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
Within the updates were there updates for your video driver ?

Can you restore to before the problem ? And see if that cures it

hfcg

hfcg

The hippie freak computer geek

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts
Hello,
It sounds like aero was turned off.
  • Right click the desktop and choose personalize.
  • select windows color and apearance.
  • select aero.
You may also wish to select the Vista theme.

Manners

Manners

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 181 posts
Thank you both for your replies.

I did personalize and all I found to click was Windows Classic, Vista Basic., et. Hit Basic and Voila! My little logos are back. Things are better. Not so small!!!!! Still color problems though.

Essexboy -
I don't know! How do I restore it??

We are makng pogress!!!! YES!!!!

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
If you are happy there is no need - I always appear to look for the difficult solutions first :)

Otherwise Go to start > All programs >
Accessories > Sytem tools > System restore and follow the prompts

Manners

Manners

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 181 posts
Sorry it took so long to reply. Out of town. A techie friend of my son's fixed it by system restore!! Thank you soooo much though!
Manners

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
You are welcome - glad we could provide some help :)