Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

After running repair XP won't boot

• Please log in to reply

lampdoc

lampdoc

• PipPip
  • 19 posts
Months ago my computer was crashing, and causing many problems, so I decided to repair windows. Since I didn't have a copy of Windows XP on CD, because my XP was an OEM, I went out a bought it. After trying to repair it I couldn't boot, so I ended up restoring the computer and starting fresh. I backed up my important stuff, but it still took me hours, days, months to get the software and hardware back to what I had. Now fast forward to This past thursday. I've been having numerous blue screen crashes, and alot of program errors, so I decided to repair my windows installation. After running the repair, I now get a screen saying that an error has been caused by a recent hardware or software installation, and gives the safe mode list or last know good configuration. Choosing any of the options results in the computer restarting, then returning to the same screen. I've tried to re-run the repair and I've tried the recovery console, neither helped. I then ended up installing new on the same partition, so obviously it's not a partition problem. The new setup works fine, but I now need to re-install all of my hardware and software, even though it's all still there on my drive. I want to access the bad setup again so I don't have to re-install everything, and get alot of loss of space for the stuff I can't un-install properly. Does anyone know how I can fix this problem so I can get back into the old installation I once used? I don't want to have to start fresh again. I have an Emachines 1.8G 512M Ram 100G HD and again using Windows XP Home Edition SP2 full OS. Can anyone help me here??? I'm also working with Microsoft to resolve this issue, but I'm not too confident they will be able to help me without telling me I have to start fresh.

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
But you do have a windows xp CD, so you can drop into recovery console?

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
Also, do you have automatic download for windows updates enabled?

lampdoc

lampdoc

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
Yes, I had stated above that I do have the Windows XP CD, and I've been into the recovery console numerous times. As for the windows update, in my bad version which I cannot access it was enabled, and in the new temporary version I have installed along side the bad one it is also enabled, but what would that have to do with not being able to boot???

Edited by lampdoc, 24 April 2005 - 09:00 PM.