Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Need help deleting yahoo install manager

• Please log in to reply

kittiekat414

kittiekat414

• PipPip
  • 18 posts
I installed yahoo messenger, but it was having problems, so i uninstalled it. but when i tried to uninstall the install manager, this is what it said:

The module "C:\PROGRA~1\Yahoo!\Common\YINSTH~1.DLL" failed to load.

Make sure the binary is stored at the specific path or debug it to check for problems with the binary or dependent .DLL files.

The specified module could not be found.

I want to reinstall my messenger, but not until i can delete all the files from my old ones. what do i do? i finally found the messed up file, but it won't let me delete it.

Also, i don't know how important this is, but my recycle bin was accidentally deleted, so there's a shortcut on my desktop. sometimes the icon shows that its full when it isn't, and sometimes it shows that its empty when its full. Is this a big deal?

I'd really appreciate some advice.

Advertisements

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
how to restore recycle bin

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
how to restore recycle bin

Go to start, run, and enter msconfig

go to the Start up Tab. look for yahoo. deselect the box next to it. apply and exit. When you reboot, you will get a confirmation message about msconfig being run. Remember to check the box to 'not show' it. At this point there shouldn't be any yahoo services running on the system and therefor you should be able to remove the offending files.

The other option is to use the Microsoft MSI cleanup utility. Download and install. Launch program and look for yahoo. Select item and click remove. once completed, all markers for the yahoo program will be removed. After a reboot you should be able to remove the files. This method also makes sure that the software will not show up "add/remove programs" listing.

kittiekat414

kittiekat414

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
Thanks so much for the help, my recycle bin is back and working properly. As for the yahoo, I tried the msconfig thing, and yahoo wasn't even on the list. I also downloaded that program, and it didn't work either. I even went to my registry editor, and deleted the ALL the yahoo folders, and restarted my computer, and its still there! The file isn't where it's supposed to be, so I searched everywhere, and found it in C:/windows/downloaded programs. It says its damaged, and it says it isn't even taking up space, but I STILL can't delete it from my programs and features list! Is that bad? Should I worry about it? I want to reinstall my yahoo, but I don't know if I should while thats still there.

kittiekat414

kittiekat414

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
Ok, I think its all fixed now. I reinstalled yahoo messenger, and then uninstalled all the things i didn't want, and it seems to have worked fine. thanks so much for the help!