Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

PROBLEMS AFTER NEW MOTHERBOARD INSTALL

• Please log in to reply

newbie1

newbie1

• Pip
  • 2 posts
well i may be in the wrong forum if i'm i apologize(new to this).
I upgraded motherboard,pci-e vc ,memory( from ecs socket 775 with agp )and was hoping not to reinstall xp.got in bios to set cdrom as primary boot, loaded xp cd and restarted computer.it went directly into windows were it said windows detected hardware changes and needs to be reactivated.rebooted again same thing so proceited to call and activate windows.the problem is i can't repair,install xp or load drivers from cd.i checked device manager and it says (cd rom's) device is working properly but nothing shows or runs from it. also shows under my computer. :)

Advertisements

shard92

shard92

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts
IF you can't boot to a cd and you do have it to set to boot from cd first then the best guesses would be bad/dirty cd disk, bad/dirty cdrom drive, or it is not connected/jumpered properly.

newbie1

newbie1

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
I checked connections,cleaned cd's and tried dfferent kind of media.this rom's were working fine before upgrade.thx for answering any more sugestions are welcome. :)

howell414

howell414

• PipPip
  • 23 posts
hit there! you upgraded to a new motherboard and RAMS.... but your still using the old harddrive, optical drives from the old computer. what is your new MOBO??
i think you have to wipe clean the old hard drive as becuase you are already using a new MOBO. then load the new MOBO drivers so that the OS can recognize your new MOBO.