Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Palm and ipaq internet capabilities...

• Please log in to reply

compuser1

compuser1

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
I apologize if I am posting my question in the wrong place.

Anyways, I have to purchase either an ipaq or Palm for school. Since I must purchase one, I'd like to pick whichever has the best internet capabilities and get some use out of it outside of the classroom.

My problem is that I know nothing of these devices. I've never even really watched someone use one. I've tried to look up the info I require quickly but to no avail.

So, how does the wireless internet work on these things? (Lets say the ipaq hx2495 and the Palm TX) Can you use a wireless access point at Starbucks and look at regular web pages?

Basically, I'd like to do things like be able to look up reviews on products before purchase while on the fly etc... Is this possible? Type in Amazon.com and get full functionality?

Thank you in advance for any info you can provide.

Advertisements

Gumby©

Gumby©

• PipPip
  • 30 posts
I've been using Palms for several years now and love them. I just bought a TX and appreciate the fact that you can rotate the screen from the traditional portrait to landscape (it makes viewing spreadsheets much more easier). The TX has wireless capabilities as well as bluetooth. I have it connected to my wireless network at home but, where I live, there aren't many local establishments with wireless access. However, at home, I can use it just like a regular computer. The built-in browser displays webpages just like a full sized computer. You just type in the web address and you get the same webpage that would appear on a desktop or notebook computer.

I also like that fact that the Palm comes with Documents-to-go which allows you to synchronize with Word, Excel, PowerPoint documents on your other computer (while saving all the formatting with a tiny file size on the Palm). The calendar program will also sync with Outlook (calendar, tasks and contacts) or, if you don't use Outlook, it comes with it's own desktop suite you can use to sync with the Palm.

Although the graffiti handwriting on the Palm is easy to learn and use I purchased a portable wireless keyboard (it folds up and is not much larger than the Palm itself) to do more extensive work on spreadsheets and documents. Actually, when I bought the TX, it came with the keyboard (this was a package deal that was on about 2 weeks ago. I just checked Staples website and they still have this package available). The keyboard is powered by a AAA battery and lasts a long time. My first keyboard is still running on the battery I installed when I purchased it 3 years ago.

As for using it for outside school, I keep a couple of SD cards packed full of music that I can plug into the Palm, connect my earbuds and listen to music while I'm out walking or at the coffee shop (apparently it will also play videos but I haven't the need for that). I also keep a few games on it to use as distractions when I need to be distracted. There's a number of other programs I have on it for different reasons as well. I'm really amazed at how much I can put on it.

I did use an iPaq about a year ago. A friend had it and didn't know how to set it up so I did that for him. I can't speak much about the iPaq with my limited experience but having used Palms for so long, the iPaq was easy to learn but didn't 'wow' me enough to make the switch. Hope someone else with more experience about iPaqs can help on that end.

Good luck with your purchase.

Gumby©

compuser1

compuser1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Thank you very much for your excellent response. Based on what you've said, I will be going out tomorrow and purchasing a Palm TX. Thanks again.

Gumby©

Gumby©

• PipPip
  • 30 posts
Glad to hear I could be of assistance. Just wish someone could have provided similar info regarding the iPaq.

Gumby©