Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Change Boot Drive

• Please log in to reply

Bestbud

Bestbud

• Pip
  • 3 posts
How do I change the Boot Drive from C to E?

Problem: Turned off computer and it booted back up in C Drive Windows 2000 instead of E Drive Windows XP.

Thank you!

Advertisements

Chronidus

Chronidus

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Presuming the OS's are installed on seperate HD, in your bios there will be setting for which hard drive you wish to boot from. Simply choose the drive you installed XP to and set it as the primary drive. Save your settings and then restart the PC

hfcg

hfcg

The hippie freak computer geek

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts
You can change the active partition in BIOS.
You will have to try both F2 and Delete to see which key works for your computer.
  • Restart the machine.
  • Press F2 or Delete (a few times).
  • When the screen shows that you have entered set up look for the boot order options (you may have to look under Advanced).
  • Follow the on screen directions to set the E drive as active partition.

Bestbud

Bestbud

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Okay, I got to BIOS and then I'm lost. There is nothing that says Boot Order Options. I do see First Boot Device Removable, Second Boot CDROM and Third Boot Hard Disk. Is this where I need to be and what do I need to do next? Thanks again!

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Boot your XP CD. If you don't have one download either of these and create a bootable CD from the .iso file

XP Recovery Console
Another XP Recovery Console

You don't burn the iso file itself to CD., you create a CD from the iso file using your CD burning software. There is a good freeware burner called DeepBurner which will do this. Another called ISO Recorder is also very easy to use.

Boot the CD and at the first opportunity, enter R to start the Recovery Console.
Next, choose which XP installation you want to login to. Normally this will be 1.
Lastly you will be asked for the Administrator password. Just press the Enter key as the Administrator does not have a password (unless you gave it one, then you would enter it).

From the command prompt, enter bootcfg /rebuild. This will rebuild the boot.ini that resides on the C: drive. It's a hidden, system, read only file.

Add both the W2K and the XP drive. Then you should be able to select which one to boot when you turn on the computer or reboot. Set the default to XP.

See here for more info: http://www.computerh...es/ch000648.htm

Bestbud

Bestbud

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Will do! Thank you!