Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

sata HDD problem

• Please log in to reply

Neo_RiP

Neo_RiP

• PipPip
  • 56 posts
hi there my problem started when i recently installed my Thermaltake Big Water 735. Once i installed it with no problems my hdd would not boot, sometimes it would boot and just hang on the windows xp screen. Another thing was in the bios menu i would be able to see it and sometimes it wouldnt be there. So i thought i would use one of my old ide hdd and install a fresh copy of windows xp and use my sata one as a backup. There was no problem with the install and everything ran smoothly and i could see my sata hdd, but then when i turned on my computer when i came home from work my sata hdd couldnt be seen in my computer, but its is present in the bios!!
Could this be a power failure, or is a bigger problem with my hdd!!
Any help will be much appreciated Thanks!!

CPU: P4 3Ghz 2mb L2 cache
MOBO:Asus P5NSLi
RAM:1Gig Geil
IDE HDD:Barracuda 80Gig
SATA HDD:Western Digital 160Gig
GFX:Gigabyte 8600GT
PSU:600Watt ATRIX

using a Thermaltake 735 Bigwater

Edited by Neo_RiP, 11 March 2008 - 12:01 AM.

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
More than likely one of two things has happened. Either you have lost the SATA raid drivers or you have lost the Partition or MBR on the drive. Asus has raid drivers here that you can redownload and see if installing them fixes the problem.

http://support.asus....mp;model=P5NSLI

Looks like the 5th one down is what you need.

If that does not work you may have to try getting into recovery console and thry fixing the MBR.

Boot with the XP installation CD.
When prompted, press R to repair a Windows XP installation.
If repairing a host with multiple operating systems, select the appropriate one (XP) from the menu. If you have only one operating system, enter 1 to select it.
Enter the administrator password if prompted.
To fix the MBR, use the following command:

fixmbr

This assumes that your installation is on the C:\ drive. You will be presented with several scary warning lines the reading of which will make you want to say no. Microsoft is exceptionally vague regarding the conditions under which fixmbr can cause problems although they are clear about the consequences (losing all data on the hard drive), so use this at your own risk.
Type y and ENTER to fix the MBR.
Type exit to leave the recovery console and reboot.

If you do not have a XP CD you can install the recovery console this way.

Download this bootable 7Mb .iso for a bootable Recovery Console:
RC.iso
http://home.comcast....nied/DTU/RC.iso

Burn this iso to a CD and restart the computer with the cd in a drive.

SRX660

Neo_RiP

Neo_RiP

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts
hey thanks alot mate!!it as a driver issue but got it fixed now!!thanks again!!