Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

HELP! PARTITION REMOVAL

• Please log in to reply

sevla5

sevla5

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Help, I really don't know where to start! My hard drive has been partitioned, and I think this may be why my cd and cdr/rw drives aren't working. I would like to just restore windows and start over, but the drives won't run the restore cd. Device manager says it recognizes the drivers for the devices, but not the hardware. Please, help! Thanks!

Advertisements

magusbuckley

magusbuckley

• PipPipPip
  • 625 posts
So your HD has been partitioned, but we'll assume you are still able to boot into windows as you mentioned using the Device Manager. I guess then, it is safe to say that your problem is that you want us to fix your CD-Rom Drives.?. Are you using Windows XP? What makes you think your HD has been partitioned? If a new partition was setup in an empty space of your HD, you could be where you are now. However, if the entire HD was repartitioned, you wouldn't be able to get into Windows because a newly partitioned area of the HD is useless until you format it in some way.

Tell us more about this Partition. Are you not seeing the CD-Rom drives in your hardware profile? Windows can't recognize the device drivers for the devices if it can't for the hardware because the hardware is the device. Windows can't say, "I have a driver for your CD-Rom drive, BUT I can't see your CD-Rom drive". It has to see the CD-Rom to know if it has a driver for it, right? To use a real world example think of this, you take your car to the repair shop and the guy says, "Yeah, I have a part for your car....Oh, by the way, what kind of car are you driving?". You see, Windows has to see the device (car) to know if it has a driver (part) for it.

Tell us about that partition and the error message you saw causing you to write, "Device manager says it recognizes the drivers for the devices, but not the hardware."

We'll get your PC up and running again, don't you worry.

sevla5

sevla5

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Thank you so much for your response! Yes, I am running windows XP professional. When I turn it on, I get the black screen with the white writing and a menu: please select operating system...

Windows XP Professional
Windows XP Professional

The top one works, the bottom one doesn't. The message if I click on the bottom one says hardware configuration problem, bould not read from selected boot disk.

As far as the CD rom and CDR/RW drives go, they are plugged in, etc. You can hear it spin, but nothing happens. The drives don't show up in My Computer, just C and A drives.

In Device Manager, under device status for both devices, it says: Windows successfully loaded the device driver for this hardware but cannot find the hardware device (code 41). Then it says click troubleshoot to start the troubleshooter for this device. The troubleshooter asks if the device is detached (no), then says unable to solve problem. That's it!

magusbuckley

magusbuckley

• PipPipPip
  • 625 posts
Somehow, you have installed Windows XP Professional twice. Since the second install doesn't work any more, why don't we remove that one from the list. If only one Operating System is in the list, the computer will default to that Operating System thus not asking you which one to load. That will get rid of that menu. How do you do this? It's not hard at all.

Do this: Click "Start", then "Run", type "MSCONFIG" (that's the Microsoft Configurator in case you wanna know) and press "Enter". In that program, click the "Boot.ini" tab. You will see the path to load the two operating systems. Remove the checkmark from the second operating system.

Now click "OK" and reboot the computer. Now the annoying message is gone.

OK, now we need to fix those CD-Rom drives.

Go back into the device manager. Click on each of the two CD-Rom drives and remove them from the list. Now, Windows doesn't know that you have CD-Rom Drives. When both drives are off the list, click "OK" or whatever it asks for and then reboot the computer. Windows may detect the drives and reinstall them for you.

Let us know how this goes for you.

sevla5

sevla5

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Thank you, the fix for the CD drives worked! As for the partition, it didn't work! There was no checkmark in the boot.ini, so I clicked on check all paths, and it said....it appears that the following line in the boot.ini file does not refer to a valid operating system. Would you like to remove? I clicked yes, the path disappeared from the window, then went to restart as directed, but the computer wouldn't shut down. When I rebooted, the extra operating system was there again! UGGGH!

Anyway.....now that it is reading the CD, I thought I would just reinstall windows, but it would not boot from the CD! Thanks...

magusbuckley

magusbuckley

• PipPipPip
  • 625 posts
Sorry I couldn't help you with your problem.