Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Uninstalling Vista and Installing XP?

• Please log in to reply

demirkol

demirkol

• PipPipPip
  • 201 posts
I just bought a laptop ( Asus F3e) and it came with windows vista. I want to uninstall it and install XP is this possible? Also is this going to cause me any problems?

Advertisements

hfcg

hfcg

The hippie freak computer geek

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts
Hello,
This will cause a lot of problems.
A lot of the new computers will not work with XP because there are no drivers for the hardware.
This is a common issue and I have not found any way to work around it.
If you are going to try any ways Make a recovery disc so you can reload Vista if the XP install fails.

demirkol

demirkol

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 201 posts
how do I do a recovery disc? Also Just thought that i'll mention that i havnt installed vista yet. the installation files are on the computer and when i turn it on it automatically wants to install.

hfcg

hfcg

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts
The laptop should have Vista already installed.
You are probally seeing the set up that runs when you first use the computer.
You have never used this computer?
Then why not give Vista a chance?
Once the set up is finnished you can make recovery disc, your owners manual will tell you how.

demirkol

demirkol

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 201 posts
yeah thats right the setup runs when i turn it ono. i dont want to use vista cant i just put on XP?

hfcg

hfcg

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts
No, you can not just install XP.
Please run the set up and make a set of recovery disc before you try any thing.

digisol

digisol

• Pip
  • 7 posts
I have doubts that a new laptop will fail with XP, what new super hardware can it have ? none.

My neighbour just bought a new Core 2 duo HP laptop with Vista Premium and it is a heap of crap, slower than molasses, brand new mind you from Jerry Harvey.

I made the obvious best suggestion, return the laptop immediately and demand XP, It's your right as a consumer, and considering that XP is now selling $50 more than Vista Home Premium OEM you might have to cough up the difference, not much to pay IMHO for a better O/S.

You can't change back to XP ? rubbish, give it here and Vista is history, there ain't no new Asus laptop that was described which won't run XP.

Take it back and demand XP.

hfcg

hfcg

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts
You can choose to do what ever you wish with your computer.
However, XP will not load with most new computers that come preloaded with Vista.
IMO Vista is a better OS. Many people still prefere XP and that is their right.
Again, make a set of recovery disc so you are not with out a working computer.