Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

XP shutting down and boot failure

• Please log in to reply

jrom727

jrom727

• PipPipPip
  • 176 posts
After installing windows updates, updating spybot and yahoo messenger and restarting the system, laptop shuts down by itself.
First it loaded the desktop, while running spybot, after about 5 minutes XP shuts down, restarted it, it loaded the desktop again then shuts itself again, now it wont even load the desktop nor allow me to perform the XP repair, it just shuts down while I'm trying to repair it..

Any suggestions how to test the hardware? or salvage my personal files?

here's what I have..
http://www.uniwill.c...9...hp?HL=1&H=1

Please let me know if there's any info you need.

Thanks!

Advertisements

cmpm

cmpm

• PipPipPip
  • 561 posts
Will it load into safe mode by pressing f8 while it's starting?

jrom727

jrom727

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 176 posts
I was able to fix it, clean out the fan and it seems to be running as usual now. :)

Edited by jrom727, 11 March 2008 - 01:25 PM.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
That means it was overheating. You should do more than clean out the fans. It's quite likely that there is dust buildup inside the laptop as well.

Might be a good idea to run a program like Speedfan. You can monitor the temperatures, fan speeds and voltages of the laptop. You don't need it running all the time, just check it a couple times a week.

jrom727

jrom727

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 176 posts
I'm not sure, I have a cooling system on it and it wasn't warm when I had the problem, that's why I suspected the upgrades first before the hardware.

Speedfan is nice program, I will definitely give it a try. and I just need make sure to clean the fan routinely now. :)

Thanks!

Edited by jrom727, 12 March 2008 - 07:48 PM.