Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

Switched to old pc; wireless not working

• Please log in to reply

• PipPip
  • 32 posts
Hey there,

Recently my computer broke down, forcing me to switch to a much older pc until i can replace. However, it seems that i may be stuck with this one for quite some time and so i would like to fix a networking problem i am having with it.

Basically, since switching i can still use the internet on the PC, however my other machine can no longer use the wireless to access the internet. It should make it clear at this point that part of the problem is that this other machine is in fact a Playstation 3, which makes it difficult for me to diagnose the problem. For those who don't know, the PS3 has built in wireless, however its method for connecting is rather simplistic - you can either have it automatically obtain IP address, DNS & subnet mask, or enter them in yourself. I had perviously just set it to automatic and it was always fine. It no longer works. Additonally, when i then tried to enter in details manually, it also failed. Note that the PS3 comes with a connection test feature. On automatic, it fails to get past the first step of obtaining an IP address. When i entered it in manually it obtained an ip address but failed to connect to the internet, saying there was a DNS error.

The router i am using is the Belkin Wireless G plus MIMO router Model No F5D9230-4. The PCs network card is a D-link DFE-530TX PCI fast ethernet adaptor. Also note that i have an external modem which connects to the router, as i am using cable broadband.

Typing in Ipconfig /all into cmd returns these results:
Windows IP configuration

Host Name: study
Primary DNS suffix:
Node Type: Hybrid
IP routing enabled: No
WINS proxy enabled: No

Ethernet Adaptor local area connection

Connection Specific DNS suffix:
Description:D-link DFE-530TX PCI fast ethernet adaptor
Physical Address: 00-05-5D-A2-06-5D
Dhcp enabled: no