Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

AMD Processor nightmares

• Please log in to reply

fortuitous

fortuitous

• PipPip
  • 99 posts
hi there everyone.

ive just bought a new processor for my machine, but when i plug it in a message comes up at the begginging of the boot process saying "********** Warning: Unknown processor revision************* The processor(s) installed in your system are of an unknown revision, please contact your BIOS vendor for appropriate updates".

my old processor is: AMD Athlon 64 3800+ (2.4GHz) Socket AM2,
and my mother board is: MSI K9N Ultra-2F nForce 570 Ultra Socket AM2 UDMA133 Serial ATA-300 (RAID) 2 x Gigabit Ethernet 8-channel audio ATX.

the new processor is: AMD ATHLON 64 X2 3800+ 4.0 GHZ 1MB CACHE AM2.

have i bought the wrong processor?? or is there a way to update my bios? please help me!!!!! ive realised i know a lot less than i thought i did lol. many thanks in advance

Rob

Advertisements

fortuitous

fortuitous

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 99 posts
Ive got it working perfectly now. but ive run my benchmarking software, and im getting about an 18% drop in overall performance!?!?! why is this? have i been a fool???? any help will be greatly appreciated

Rob

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
Hi there,
Correct me if I'm wrong, but you really got this chip right?
http://www.newegg.co...N82E16819103732
Currently there are no chips that retail in the consumer market that operate at a 4.0GHz frequency.

What benchmark programs are you running?
Can you list your full system specifications?
James

Chronidus

Chronidus

• Pip
  • 6 posts
James is right the processor you bought actually runs at 2Ghz, 400mhz less than your previous processor. However you havent made a bad decison as the CPU you now have is a dual-core cpu. Providing the real-world appz you use are multi-thread enabled, you will see far better performance with your new chip

fortuitous

fortuitous

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 99 posts
cheers for the replys, i was aware that it was actually a 2gig chip, but i was kinda under the impression that it was really 4 gig, i.e 2g x 2. im guessing this isnt the case?

Heres the spec of my pc:

AMD Athlon 64 X 2 dual core 3800+, 2011Mhz, 256Kb L1, 1024Kb L2
Caption NVIDIA GeForce 7600 GS 512Mb
1Gb Synchronous DDR2 266 MHz

also, i did have 2gb ram in, they werent the same make, but when i took it out it didn't make a difference to the benchmark, whats going on?. the benchmark prog i use is passmark, is there a better one than this? lol, so many questions lol, sorry

kamille316

kamille316

• PipPipPip
  • 604 posts

cheers for the replys, i was aware that it was actually a 2gig chip, but i was kinda under the impression that it was really 4 gig, i.e 2g x 2. im guessing this isnt the case?

Its actually like this, you now have two cores that runs at 2GHz each instead of your old one that's only one core that runs at 2.4GHz

fortuitous

fortuitous

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 99 posts
ahhhh, cool, so whats the best way to make it quicker? is it to buy better quality ram, and more of it? its pretty cheap stuff ive got atm i think. my pc is terribly slow, theres no malware slowing it down, what can i do???

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts

ahhhh, cool, so whats the best way to make it quicker? is it to buy better quality ram, and more of it? its pretty cheap stuff ive got atm i think. my pc is terribly slow, theres no malware slowing it down, what can i do???

Honestly, return the CPU that you have chosen and get a better one. If you are running vista and 1GB of RAM or less, I'd recommend upgrading to 2GB of RAM. If you are running XP and 512mb of RAM, I'd recommend upgrading to 1GB of RAM.
James

fortuitous

fortuitous

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 99 posts
cheers for that, im on XP at the moment, with 1 GB of ram. is there any processor you can reccomend that will work well with my motherboard? and how about the ram issue? is my ram too cheap and nasty? and whats the best benchmarking software to use, considering im a bit of a novice its gotta be user friendly, which is why i went for passmark. many thanks again

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
Unless you are overclocking, it really doesn't matter how cheap your RAM is as long as it works.
Please give me a budget and the link to where you shop.

nd whats the best benchmarking software to use, considering im a bit of a novice its gotta be user friendly, which is why i went for passmark.

I suggest the program below, just a heads up, it's quite large.
3Dmark06 download

The one below is much smaller and just measures CPU performance, the faster it can be caluclated the better.
Super Pi mod
James

Edited by james_8970, 12 March 2008 - 08:32 AM.

fortuitous

fortuitous

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 99 posts
hmmmm, how importsnt is it to have the same ram in each slot? has anyone got any ideas what slowing my system down??????? i think i hate my computer!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts

hmmmm, how importsnt is it to have the same ram in each slot?

That would depend on what RAM your taking into consideration. In the end though, we can never guarrantee full compatibility of mixing and matching RAM.

has anyone got any ideas what slowing my system down?

Well the new CPU you bought has a lower frequency. It has a frequency of 2.0GHz compared to your old processor having a frequency of 2.4GHz. Not all programs can use both cores on your newer CPU, so basically, you have bought a CPU that has a clock rate that's 20% slower then your old CPU. So if you are running older applications, they will run slower. So in one sense, you have made a down grade, not an upgrade.
James

fortuitous

fortuitous

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 99 posts
cheers buddy, im goint to get a 2.6 x 2 amd. i understand this whole dual core thing alot more now. as for the ram ill just buy a matched pair of 2Gb sticks, that should speed thing up a bit. ( i hope) lol, cheers again