Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Network Problems on Ubuntu 7.10

• Please log in to reply

Ben_uk

Ben_uk

• Pip
  • 7 posts
Hi I've been having problems accessing my local network from ubuntu 7.10. The system is happily sharing files with other windows pc's on my network and up until a recent re-installation (on the ubuntu machine) I was able to see the network as well. Now I can't even see the files that I am sharing over the network, even though they are obviously sharing fine. When I try to access the network from nautilus (smb:///) it shows me the mshome workgroup (which is the only workgroup being used), when I click it it gives me this error message:

"The folder contents could not be displayed.
Sorry, couldn't display all the contents of "Windows Network: mshome". "

and I get a blank screen.

The read out from smbtree in the terminal is this:

"
ben@the-bishop:~$ smbtree
Password:
MSHOME
\\THE-BISHOP the-bishop server (Samba, Ubuntu)
Error connecting to 195.238.237.143 (Connection refused)
cli_start_connection: failed to connect to THE-BISHOP<20> (195.238.237.143). Error NT_STATUS_CONNECTION_REFUSED
\\HOLLY mikes laptop
Error connecting to 195.238.237.143 (Connection refused)
cli_start_connection: failed to connect to HOLLY<20> (195.238.237.143). Error NT_STATUS_CONNECTION_REFUSED
ben@the-bishop:~$
"

the-bishop is the ubuntu and holly is the windows pc.
Any help would be greatly appreciated as I have no idea why I cannot access them any more from the clean install.

Thanks
Ben

p.c. recently tried to access shares from an Xubuntu pc on the network. That pc can access it's own shares and the shares of "holly", but not mine.

Advertisements