Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Painfully Slow Starup

• Please log in to reply

PrestonHurst

PrestonHurst

• Pip
  • 6 posts
System Specs:

Gateway Essential (got it in 2000)
933mhz
256 megs ram
Windows XP

I think I already know the answer to this but better safe than sorry.

Every time I start up my computer: halfway through where the Gateway logo is (where the green bar slides across the bottom of the screen) it stops for about two or three minutes. Then it starts up again, green bar becomes full, then stops for two minutes. After that everything seems to be normal.

I think it started when I tried to get rid of AVG which made my already POS go slower.

Is this a sign that my PC is going to computer [bleep]? I've checked and double checked all the connections, did system restore, and even reinstalled windows.

Also, is there a good anti virus that WON'T slow down my computer? I've tried Norton, AVG, Avast and several others.

Advertisements

BlackPandemic

BlackPandemic

• PipPipPip
  • 678 posts
First off I wouldn't expect blazing fast start-ups with only 256MB of RAM. Today most computer come with at least 512MB and most are readily available with 1-2GB. If the 933Mhz is the processor (which I find really low for a 2k computer) then it might just be time to upgrade. As for AV programs, AVG is probably the lowest resource hog. Norton will be your sworn enemy in that department but the free version of AVG shouldn't hog very much.

PrestonHurst

PrestonHurst

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
I figured as much. But I never had any problems being THAT slow until a few months ago.

Ah well, thanks for the response.

I'll put AVG on my new system. Guess it's time to say goodbye Gateway and hello Dell.

BlackPandemic

BlackPandemic

• PipPipPip
  • 678 posts
It is odd that just outta the blue it happened but it's not a rare occurence for electronics to do so. If you have the money to do it, do the upgrade to a new system. :)