Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Another "Error Loading Operating system" message

• Please log in to reply

kelvint

kelvint

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
I have run the repair and gone through the on screen instructions (set time, keyboard etc). The system has then rebooted and loaded as far as a black screen with the windows xp pro logo, with please wait written underneath.
The cursor is an egg timer and I have left it in this state for about 45 minutes so far. Ther has been no change to the screen and the hard drive does not seem to be doing anything at the moment.
I will leave it over night and let you know what has happened in the morning.

Thanks again for your advice so far

Advertisements

kelvint

kelvint

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Good morning!
So I woke up this morning and checked the laptop. Unfortunately it was still showing the same screen as ast night. I have now turned it off and rebooted it and it managed to get through to windows this time. I am now online doing updates. So far it seems to be going ok, albeit very slowly at the moment.
Once it has finished I'll let you know so you can close this thread.
Thanks again for everything and hopefully this will have fixed it.

Cheers

Kelvin

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
to get a little speed back follow these steps...if the system is still slow after doing all the steps..try uninstalling excel then reinstall it...

go to START..RUN...type in MSCONFIG...then click on OK or press ENTER..
click on START UP TAB...uncheck everything EXCEPT your AV and firewall...if its a laptop you have to be careful about what you uncheck or your touch pad and wireless and things like that will not function for you..
google each start up item to decide if you need it to load with windows...unchecking them does not remove them ..they are still available to use...

the next thing we are going to do is turn off indexing ....its a resource hog and if you aren't searching for things on your computer 10 times a day it will only slow down your system....

click on start...my computer...right click on C: drive....properties...on the general tab..uncheck ...allow indexing on this drive....if you do not have the box on your system...

then START...RUN...type in SERVICES.MSC...then OK...scroll down until you find INDEXING SERVICE...click on it and in the general tab set it to DISABLED...then exit

To clean your temp folder, recycle bin, index.dat etc..please download this free tool...

CCleaner

Don't install any Toolbars, or other programs, should it ask you...Just
uncheck the option of installing the Yahoo toolbar....if you get
the slim version it does not have the toolbar
thats the one I recommend...

It will put a shortcut on your Desktop.

Click on CCleaner to start it....
Before first use...
Select Options then Advanced.
UNCHECK "Only delete files in Windows Temp folder older than 48 hours"
The rest of the standard settings are fine...

Then click "Run Cleaner"

DO NOT USE ANY OF THE OTHER TOOLS...RUNNING THEM MAY CAUSE OTHER PROBLEMS

next get diskeeper lite here...

after installing it...click on the icon...close the "nag" screen...click on your c drive to select it ...then down towards the bottom ...click on defragment now...first time you use it it may take 15 to 30 minutes to complete...do it about every two weeks and it will complete in about 7 minutes...
reboot and tell me hows its running...

you do not have to defrag in safe mode with diskeeper lite and its 10 times as fast than the defragger that comes with windows

kelvint

kelvint

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Hi, well all of a sudden things have gone a bit wrong. I can't get 7 of the windows updates to install, which also seems to be having an affect on installing service pack 2. So I have given up on this for the moment to look at your last thread.

before I even started to do any of the things outlined above, I got another blue screen this time with 'Driver_Irql_Not_Less_or_equal' error.

It is now doing another physical memory dump.

Incidentaly, I also noticed that when I changed the administrator password under user accounts, it seems to have not actually changed it on the recovery console. I mean, under user accounts, there is a computer administrator account which is the main one, this has no password set. I set on to just administrator, however this did not allw me access through the recovery console.

kelvint

kelvint

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
I have run ccleaner and diskeeper with no trouble, rebooted and ready to try and get on with the updates. It is showing 7 updates that keep failing:

KB890859
KB914389
KB914388
KB885835
KB922819
KB924191
KB899587

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
try going here...scroll down to the xp updates section...click on the months ...it will show the KB numbers...find the ones you need and download and install them in the order of the oldest first

Edited by happyrck, 13 March 2008 - 05:15 PM.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Also see here: http://windowsxp.mvps.org/890859.htm . This is for KB890859 but the concept and directions should also apply to the others as well.

kelvint

kelvint

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Hi guys, thanks for these messages. I have downloded all the failed updates, and try to install. It seems that it is having trouble with the file NTOSKRNL.exe and thus stops the update. I have searched the harddrive and the file is present in many places:
windows\i386
windows\system32
windows\last good\system32
windows\softwaredistribution\download

I have also tried to force the update to locate all of these, but the 'setup cannot copy the file ntoskrnl.exe persists

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
If the ntoskrnl.exe file is corrupt or missing this can also generate the error. To restore this file follow the below steps.

1. Insert the Microsoft Windows XP CD. Note: If you have a recovery CD or a restore CD and not a Microsoft Windows XP CD it is likely the below steps will not resolve your issue.
2. Reboot the computer, as the computer is starting you should see a message to press any key to boot from the CD. When you see this message press any key.
3. In the Microsoft Windows XP setup menu press the R key to enter the recovery console.
4. Select the operating system you wish to fix, and then enter the administrator password.
if you have not set a password ..just press enter
5. Type expand d:\i386\ntoskrnl.ex_ c:\windows\system32 ..if d: is your cd drive
6. You will then be prompted if you wish to overwrite the file type Y and press enter to overwrite the file.
7. Type exit to reboot the computer.

kelvint

kelvint

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Hi,
This seems to be where one of my problems is from. I try to do this, however when it does ask me for the administrator password I press enter, and it tells me the password is incorrect, so I tried to set the password in user accounts and did it again, but each time it tells me the passwrod is incorrect and after three goes it reboots.

I have tried to look on line at other threads with this kind of issue with the password but find nothing that seems to work

Advertisements

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
the site rules do not allow me to tell you how to reset the admin password...and we already tried a repair...soooo....
lets sfc /scannow...instructions at this link here...post # 3
unless some else has something to try

kelvint

kelvint

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
ok thanks for that will try. Sorry about the password thing, don't want to break any rules there.
Cheers

kelvint

kelvint

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Hi, I hope you all had a good weekend.

I tried the last fix posted, and the scan went through fine. When I went back and started doing my updates I still had the same issues was failed update installs (the same ones).

I think I am going to have to reinstall windows and office and hopefully that will resolve the issues. At least I am now able to back up the files that were on the hard drive, for which I am very grateful, as this is a huge bonus.

Thanks again for all your help.

Kelvin

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
your welcome..sorry we couldn't get it working for you...