Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

I Have No Sound

• Please log in to reply

BaillieMk.2

BaillieMk.2

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
Hello there, Internet. I have a problem. Let me explain it as best I can:

My computer has no sound. That's about as much as I can tell you, right now... my speakers work, since I've tried them on other machines without a problem, and it isn't as simple as having 'mute' checked off somewhere on my master volume control, because that's happened to me before and I always check there first. I don't get an error message on my Hardware list or anything, which leads me to believe it isn't a blown sound-card or anything like that...

A bit of background, here... owing to the fact that I'm a gullible idiot on occasion, I had to re-install windows on my computer. I did it without much trouble and things were just fine for a while... i.e. my sound worked. About four days ago, I was playing a game when the sound started to go, incrementally. First the FX sounds went, than the dialog, than the background music. I restarted my computer and all was well again. Next day I go to play a song in WinAmp, and I get an error message... I didn't think to take it down at the time, so I can't tell you what for. Anyway, no sound plays on anything again, so I restart, and once more everything is fixed. About an hour later my sound goes - no error message, nothing, and doesn't come back.

I'm seriously confuzzled. I've tried using different speakers, re-downloading my audio manager, codecs, etc, but nothing... So, Internet, if you have any help, don't hesitate to let me know. Please?

Advertisements

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Hi BaillieMk.2,welcome to G2G.

You said "I don't get an error message on my Hardware list", by that do you mean Device Manager?

To verify, click on Start then Run, type devmgmt.msc and press Enter or click OK. See if there are any Yellow mark in the Sound, Video and Game Controllers section (click on the +).

BaillieMk.2

BaillieMk.2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Hi BaillieMk.2,welcome to G2G.

You said "I don't get an error message on my Hardware list", by that do you mean Device Manager?

To verify, click on Start then Run, type devmgmt.msc and press Enter or click OK. See if there are any Yellow mark in the Sound, Video and Game Controllers section (click on the +).

Yea, that's what I meant. I didn't phrase that very well, but what I meant is that everything under "Sound, Video, and Game Controllers" in the device manager (don't know where I got "Hardware list"... I'm tired!) is cherry.

Edited by BaillieMk.2, 11 March 2008 - 07:30 PM.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Okay, thanks. Try right click on the sound card and select Uninstall. Shutdown and reboot. XP will rediscover the sound card/chipset and reinstall the drivers for it, see if that helps.

What is the make and model of your computer? Where/how did you install the drivers for it or did you use the manufacturers recovery CD/partition?

BaillieMk.2

BaillieMk.2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Okay, thanks. Try right click on the sound card and select Uninstall. Shutdown and reboot. XP will rediscover the sound card/chipset and reinstall the drivers for it, see if that helps.

That makes so much sense, don't know why I didn't think of it before. Thanks! It's all working now!

Good stuff.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Pheewww. Glad that fixed it :)