Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Blue screen of death, endless loop!

• Please log in to reply

JSlayer

JSlayer

• PipPip
  • 34 posts
Hello all,

I'm stuck at the power up stage of my build. The bios recognized my HD's and my dvd burner. I get a good post code on the MB. Then it goes to the screen where it asks if you want to boot normal or safe mode and I tried normal first. It flashes the windows logo for a millisecond then blue screen crashes and restarts. It will just keep looping if I don't stop it. I also tried safe mode but it didn't work.

The only thing I did differently on this build was I used the master and slave HD's from another computer. I'm not sure I was supposed to do that, but I did, LOL! Does this sound familiar to anyone? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Advertisements

Rocknrollcows

Rocknrollcows

• PipPipPip
  • 432 posts
I'm guessing that the drivers that are already on the HD are conflicting with the new hardware. That is why you reformat your HD when you majorly change your hardware!

Do you have an XP/Vista/OS installation CD?

If you do, then you can just reinstall the OS and when it ask you to format Disk, just select the "yes" option.

(i'm assuming you know how to install a OS because you said you have done other builds)

Then when it finishes installing the OS, you can just install new drivers etc and your problems should be solved.

JSlayer

JSlayer

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
Thanks for the good info, but if I format then I am going to lose all the info on the HD's. I was hoping to just replace the MB, put my old HD's in and move on. Is that even possible or did i just make it up? I may have made it up, LOL!

Rocknrollcows

Rocknrollcows

• PipPipPip
  • 432 posts
Yea, sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. It will only work if NOTHING else changes, and the changes on the MOBO are small.

Since you said you had 2 HDs, just put all your important stuff on the bigger driver and then install OS on the one left over :)

JSlayer

JSlayer

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
OK, here is the latest.

I went into the bios and set it to boot from CD, then put the original XP disk in. I went through each window until I got to the point where it recognized the previous install of XP. I chose to fix that install rather than re-install. It seemed to work as I was finnaly able to boot to the desktop, but now I have a different problem I'm going to post a new topic about.

Quickly though, I can get to the desktop but most of my programs are out of date. I used to have IE7 now I don't, I used to have office 2003 now I don't, I can't even get on the internet to DL all the windows updates. This is the last time I take a HD from a working system and try to use it as the master of a new system without formating. What a pain!

Rocknrollcows

Rocknrollcows

• PipPipPip
  • 432 posts
What do you mean when you say "I can't even get on the internet" are you not connected? or is Windows just not detecting your connection?

and do you still have some of your personal items? like games and pictures etc.

JSlayer

JSlayer

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
Yes sir, it doesn't detect any internet connection. I have another computer up and running and tried swaping cables and the one that was working wouldn't work with my new build. I took the one that wasn't working with my new build and plugged it into my good computer and BAM I was on the internet in seconds, so I know my internet connection is good. The new computer just won't connect or even see the network.

Also, yes I have all of my personal items still. Even the wallpaper and icon positions are the same. However when I click on some of them, like excel, it says you need to verify this program over the internet or the phone. When I opened up Itunes it said some of the file extensions may not work properly and I haven't been able to play a single song. My whole library is visible but when I click play nothing happens.

I have never been able to swap a working master HD from a working system into a new system as the master and have everything work. I can still slave the HD to a new formated HD, but I was hoping to avoid buying a new HD. There has got to be a way to swap a working HD into a new system and still have it recognize everything.

Also, thanks so much for even trying to help me with this. I realize my info is probably not as complete as it should be, so a big thanks for all your help. I started a new thread about this issue here:
The tale of a Noob in wolves clothing!

Edited by JSlayer, 15 March 2008 - 08:38 AM.