Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

ActiveX

• Please log in to reply

liloltiredblood

liloltiredblood

• PipPip
  • 94 posts
I was wondering if someone can send me the link to HiJackThis, so I can update it. Thank you.

I am having trouble with my internet, I can't check my e-mail in hotmail nor can I re-download Msn Messenger. I beleive there was a virus going around on Msn Messenger. *sighs* I got rid of it, but after that I think it did something to my computer.
HELP please.....n thank you

Advertisements

-=jonnyrotten=-

-=jonnyrotten=-

Member 2k

• Retired Staff
  • 2,678 posts
Click Here download the latest version of Hijack This (1.99.1). :tazz: Hey how are ya anywayz, I haven't been around in awhile, it's good to see you're still with us ;)

-=jonnyrotten=- ;)

liloltiredblood

liloltiredblood

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts
*sighs*....guess what it's not letting me download anything....it says something about my ActiveX I think.

Security Alert!
Your current Security settings do not allow this file to be downloaded.

How do I fix that???

I have been so busy these days with work and when I am not working I still got lots of things to do. It's going to be a great summer, we are going to be hosting for a lot of people this year. So we are busy fundraising before July 20th. And so far we made about over $200.00. How are you doing Johnny???

-=jonnyrotten=-

-=jonnyrotten=-

Member 2k

• Retired Staff
  • 2,678 posts
I'm doing great, just feeling a little lost since the forums have gotten so big! Anyways, open Internet Explorer, click "Tools" at the top, click "Internet Options" and select the "Security" tab. Now click the "Custom Level" button at the bottom and set your settings to match this.

Download signed ActiveX controls......Prompt
Download unsigned ActiveX controls...Disable
Initialize and script ActiveX controls not marked as safe....Disable
Run ActiveX controls and Plugins....enable, or prompt for even more security
Script ActiveX controls marked safe for scripting....enable
File Download.... enable
<<this is your main download problem I believe

Accept all the changes, close your browser and open it back up and try again. Or better yet try Firefox.

-=jonnyrotten=- :tazz:

liloltiredblood

liloltiredblood

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts
ur such a doll JR....well now i can check my email..but i can't download anything...
but I ran the old HiJackThis and this is the report I got....it's funny that it says I am running Msn Messenger when I unistalled it today.....is there anythign that i should fix???? I tried to download the new one, but it still says I CANT DOWNLOAD....read from yah laterz :tazz:

HiJackThis report...

Logfile of HijackThis v1.98.2
Scan saved at 12:28:15 AM, on 24/04/2005
Platform: Windows 2000 SP4 (WinNT 5.00.2195)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP1 (6.00.2800.1106)

Running processes:
C:\WINNT\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\services.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgamsvr.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgupsvc.exe
C:\WINNT\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\regsvc.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\MSTask.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\stisvc.exe
C:\WINNT\System32\WBEM\WinMgmt.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\mspmspsv.exe
C:\WINNT\Explorer.EXE
C:\WINNT\Mixer.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgcc.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgemc.exe
C:\g.exe
C:\msn.exe
C:\Program Files\HijackThis.exe

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\SearchURL,(Default) = http://red.clientapp...//www.yahoo.com
R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Local Page = C:\WINNT\about.htm
R3 - Default URLSearchHook is missing
O2 - BHO: AcroIEHlprObj Class - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 5.0\Reader\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.ocx
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {5C8B2A36-3DB1-42A4-A3CB-D426709BBFEB} - (no file)
O3 - Toolbar: &Radio - {8E718888-423F-11D2-876E-00A0C9082467} - C:\WINNT\System32\msdxm.ocx
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Synchronization Manager] mobsync.exe /logon
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [C-Media Mixer] Mixer.exe /startup
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NeroFilterCheck] C:\WINNT\system32\NeroCheck.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AVG7_CC] C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgcc.exe /STARTUP
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AVG7_EMC] C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgemc.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MSN MMISSENGER] mssmmspgr.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [MSN MMISSENGER] mssmmspgr.exe
O4 - Global Startup: Microsoft Office.lnk = C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\OSA9.EXE
O12 - Plugin for .spop: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\Plugins\NPDocBox.dll
O15 - Trusted Zone: http://www.download.com
O15 - Trusted Zone: http://www.hotmail.com
O15 - Trusted Zone: http://*.windowsupdate.com
O16 - DPF: {4F1E5B1A-2A80-42CA-8532-2D05CB959537} (MSN Photo Upload Tool) - http://by104fd.bay10...es/MsnPUpld.cab

-=jonnyrotten=-

-=jonnyrotten=-

Member 2k

• Retired Staff
  • 2,678 posts
Make sure to boot into safe mode before performing the instructions that follow.

Please reboot into safe mode (continually tap the F8 key while your system is starting, select Safe Mode from the menu).
Be sure you're able to view hidden files.

You may wish to print out a copy of these instructions to follow while you complete this procedure.
Please save Hijack This in a permanent folder (i.e. C:\HJT). This ensures backups are saved and accessible.
Please go offline, close all browsers and any open Windows, making sure that only HijackThis is open. Scan and when it finishes, put an X in the boxes, only next to these following items, then click fix checked.

R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Local Page = C:\WINNT\about.htm
R3 - Default URLSearchHook is missing
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {5C8B2A36-3DB1-42A4-A3CB-D426709BBFEB} - (no file)
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MSN MMISSENGER] mssmmspgr.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [MSN MMISSENGER] mssmmspgr.exe << Someone's "sneeeeky" way of trying to make you think that "Messenger" is spelled "MMISSENGER" :tazz:

Now while still in Safe Mode find and delete the following files/folders in bold if found.

C:\g.exe
C:\msn.exe
mssmmspgr.exe << this is most likely found in C:\WINNT or C:\WINNT\System32, if not then run a search for it and delete it if found.

Now click "Start", "All Programs", "CleanUP!" and click the "CleanUP!" button. When asked to logoff say "NO". Now close the program and restart the computer normally and post a new log. Let me know how things are running also ;)

-=jonnyrotten=- ;)

liloltiredblood

liloltiredblood

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts
oh my oh my oh my....that's my other problem...i could never reboot under safe mode..no matter how many times i try to figure it out...i can never....F8 no work for me....

Comnir

Comnir

• PipPipPip
  • 141 posts
Try the second method for starting in Safe Mode suggested here

liloltiredblood

liloltiredblood

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts
lol----guess what---i still have my old keyboard----so that worked to go under safe mode---geeez the keyboard is so small...n very noisy....but i ran HiJackThis again...so I hopedit worked...oh am i suppose to hide the files agian under safe mode???? :S forgot....
hey...do i need
O3 - Toolbar: &Radio - {8E718888-423F-11D2-876E-00A0C9082467} -
what is that for????
thanx for ur help JR & comnir
read from u laters

Logfile of HijackThis v1.98.2
Scan saved at 1:56:21 AM, on 24/04/2005
Platform: Windows 2000 SP4 (WinNT 5.00.2195)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP1 (6.00.2800.1106)

Running processes:
C:\WINNT\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\services.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgamsvr.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgupsvc.exe
C:\WINNT\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\regsvc.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\MSTask.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\stisvc.exe
C:\WINNT\System32\WBEM\WinMgmt.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\mspmspsv.exe
C:\WINNT\Explorer.EXE
C:\WINNT\Mixer.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgcc.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgemc.exe
C:\Program Files\HijackThis.exe

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\SearchURL,(Default) = http://red.clientapp...//www.yahoo.com
O2 - BHO: AcroIEHlprObj Class - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 5.0\Reader\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.ocx
O3 - Toolbar: &Radio - {8E718888-423F-11D2-876E-00A0C9082467} - C:\WINNT\System32\msdxm.ocx
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Synchronization Manager] mobsync.exe /logon
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [C-Media Mixer] Mixer.exe /startup
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NeroFilterCheck] C:\WINNT\system32\NeroCheck.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AVG7_CC] C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgcc.exe /STARTUP
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AVG7_EMC] C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgemc.exe
O4 - Global Startup: Microsoft Office.lnk = C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\OSA9.EXE
O12 - Plugin for .spop: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\Plugins\NPDocBox.dll
O15 - Trusted Zone: http://www.download.com
O15 - Trusted Zone: http://www.hotmail.com
O15 - Trusted Zone: http://*.windowsupdate.com
O16 - DPF: {4F1E5B1A-2A80-42CA-8532-2D05CB959537} (MSN Photo Upload Tool) - http://by104fd.bay10...es/MsnPUpld.cab

liloltiredblood

liloltiredblood

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts
now that, that's fixed---im still having trouble with ActiveX---I can't download anything---or even check my msn email----or yahooo----oh hey comnir my "msconfig" it says i dont have it---weird eh
read from u laters

Advertisements

liloltiredblood

liloltiredblood

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts
I still need help in my ActiveX, I have done from the previous conversation...what is the other way to fix it????
read from you laterz

-=jonnyrotten=-

-=jonnyrotten=-

Member 2k

• Retired Staff
  • 2,678 posts

This article mainly deals with problems encounterd by Dux Computer Forum members who were using Windows XP/2000 and Internet Explorer (IE) version 6 to connect to secure web sites; however, many of the steps are applicable to other versions of Windows and IE. Many thanks to all forum members who contributed to this article. Forum Topic.

Many things can cause IE secure connection problems. A lundry list of things to try follows. I would suggest trying one thing at time, closing IE, opening IE, and testing before doing the next one. You can test IE's ability to make secure connections using VeriSign's SSL test site.

If reasonably possible, install all Windows updates. A free CD with all updates is available from Microsoft.

Scan for worms, viruses, and spyware. They can cause these sort of problems. I use AVG for viruses and worms, and both Adaware and Spybot S&D for spyware/adware. All three are avilable as free downloads.

Verify that IE is working on unsecure web sites. Refresh this page.

Open IE and click Help, About Internet Explorer and look at the Cipher Strength. It should be 128 bit. If the Cipher Strength is anything less then 128-bit, download and install the Internet Explorer High Encryption Pack.

Open IE, go to Tools, Internet Options, Advanced and scroll to bottom of list. The SSL and TLS options (all versions) should be checked.

Delete Cookies, Delete Files and Clear History in Tools, Internet Options, General tab. (Deleting Cookies may delete some stored Internet passwords.) Check the Delete all off-line content checkbox.

Uncheck the box for Enable Third Party Browser Extensions in the Advanced Section (all other settings in Advanced Section are set to Default).  Click Apply and close and open IE.

Configure Security settings for the Trusted sites zone in IE: IE, Tools, Internet Options, Security tab, select Trusted sites, Default Level. Sites, enter the address (URL) of the site in the Add this Web site to the zone: box, Add, OK, Apply.

Check Firewall/Network Configuration. Make sure that the SSL port (port 443) is open on your network/firewall (if you have any). There are many different Firewall/Network products, so we can't give set-by-step instructions. Check the documentation or help file of the product you use. If you are behind a broadband router, you may not need a firewall on your PC. One forum member fixed the problem by uninstalling Norton's Personal Firewall.

Clear the Secure Sockets Layer (SSL) slate and AutoComplete history: IE, Tools, Internet Options, Content tab. Under Certificates, click Clear SSL State. Click OK when you receive the message that the SSL cache was successfully cleared. Under Personal information, click AutoComplete. Under Clear AutoComplete history, click Clear Forms. Click OK when you are prompted to confirm the operation.

Verify that the Date and Time Settings on Your Computer Are Correct: Because SSL certificates have an expiry date, if the date on your computer isn't correct, it may prevent you from connecting to secure sites.

Check the file integrity of the IE and Outlook: boot to the Windows Safe Mode by pressing F8 key several times just as Windows is about to start. Start, Run, enter sfc /scannow (It might ask for the Windows CD to upload the corrupted files). Re-registering the softpub.dll (dynamic link library). Start, Run, enter regsvr32 softpub.dll and wait for the OK message; then try again.

This works, apparently, if you have installed a customized version of IE6, (maybe from your ISP). urlmon.dll is often missing. Login as Administrator, close all programs, start, Run… and paste in regsvr32 urlmon.dll, Ok.

outtatouch: "I did a repair installation of XP and it did restore access to secure sites. It also restored the loading speed of my icons and my capacity to click on links in email, which had vanished." How to Repair and Reinstall IE 6.

It might be a certificate issue. See Method 8 in the link below.

MSKB 922798: You cannot install some updates or programs

Instead of formatting and reinstalling Windows XP, you might be able to restore it back to a restore point before the problem arose... Start, Help, Undo changes to your computer with System Restore.

jcanfiel: One more thing to try, that i didn't see mentioned here was to check to see if FIPS compliant encryption algorythms were enabled or not. I have found that enabling this feature will often cause HTTPS sites not to load, and report a DNS error. To check this option go to

Control Pannel > Administrative tools > Local Security Settings

Open up Local Policies > Security Options

Verify that "System Cryptogrophy: Use FIPS compliant algorythms for encryption" is set to disabled.

You will need to restart the system for this to take effect.

**Quoted from Dux Computer Digest

-=jonnyrotten=- ;)

Oh and this,

ActiveX plugin for Windows Media Player :tazz: It's ok to keep unless you don't have WMP then you can safely remove it.

liloltiredblood

liloltiredblood

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts
Wow, was that ever long. I did read the whole thing, and I have also tried to do most of them. I AM GETTING SO FUSTRATED CAN I JUST CHUCK THIS THING>.....sighs...lol....I am trying t be patient....but I just cant. Nothing seems to be working....maybe im doing it wrong.....*thinks* alright...ill re-read and see if I had missed anything....read from you laterz

-=jonnyrotten=-

-=jonnyrotten=-

Member 2k

• Retired Staff
  • 2,678 posts
Explain to me again what the exact problem is. Sorry I'm a little confused. You said you're missing ActiveX? You can only disable it, you can't be missing it. Those instructions have enabled it again. Sounds to me like you cannot view secure sites like http://www.hotmail.com
http://gmail.google.com

Anything secure that you have to login with a username and password basically correct? And you cannot download anything either? Like if you were to click on this link:

http://www.merijn.or.../hijackthis.zip

What is the exact message you get? Sorry for all the questions, I'm just trying to narrow down the possibilities here. :tazz:

-=jonnyrotten=- ;)

liloltiredblood

liloltiredblood

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts
I have done windows update. I also use AVG, Ad-aware, but other two I do not have, and can't download right now. Because I can't download anything. My Cipher Strength says 128 bit. I could not do this Open IE, go to Tools, Internet Options, Advanced and scroll to bottom of list. The SSL and TLS options (all versions) should be checked. " becuase I don't see the SSL, I only see "certificate & Publishers" but I have done all the others...autocomplete etc...I don't have a fire wall...my time and date is correct...
sorry...I am not running Windows XP...I am running Windows 2000....
read from yah later