Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

ActiveX

• Please log in to reply

liloltiredblood

liloltiredblood

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts
Hey Gerr,

I did as you said, but I did not do anything because I wasn't sure what numbers to put...so I am going to write down what I seen

under "Paging File Size for selected drive"
Drive: C
Space available: 15764 MB
Initial Size (MB): 180
Maximum size (MB): 360

and under "Total Paging Size for all drives"
Minimum allowed: 2 MB
Recommended: 178 MB
Currently allocated: 180 MB

and under "Registry size"
Current registry size: 21MB
Maximum registry size (MB): 32

so what shall i change the "Maximum size" too???

Hey JR, all is good I understand that you are very busy....and you have been very helpful too...and thank you for your time to help me....i really appreciate it....mahaloz JR....aloha a hui hou
jus me TB

read from yah laterz Gerr

Advertisements

liloltiredblood

liloltiredblood

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts
I also forgot to mention that, after I had installed "HiJackThis" I did re-install yahoo messenger...than I tried to install Msn Messenger a different way...almost got it, than my computer froze and than my internet kept disconnecting...so I tried rebooting a few times but it kept shutting down...i did do a virus scan again and ad-aware..but than again...one thing at a time.....but I had to write this so I wont forget....
read from you laterz....

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
max size = 15764 MB

reboot

will paint load now?

liloltiredblood

liloltiredblood

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts
Well I changed it, and when I had rebooted....I opened Paint and it took for ever to come up, and when I tried closing it, it said out of memory. Than finally when I got it closed I checked the settings again....I forgot to click on "set" than I changed the settings again and rebooted and tried to open Paint again and it wouldnt come up...I checked in task manager and looked at the memory usage it was up to 30,000 than it was going in the 40's...than back down to 22, 000.....than I rebooted again...this thing is irkin me.... :tazz:

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
Hmmm, ok....but you can now download things, right?

Go here and download the process explorer

http://www.sysintern...e/procexp.shtml

And while you're at it, download tugzip

http://www.tugzip.com/

Install the second first, then right click the zip file and extract to your desktop

then run process explorer

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
then press save as, save the file, then attach it

liloltiredblood

liloltiredblood

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts
I'll have to finish this when I get back, I forgot I had class this morning and I am half hour late LOL....so I'll be a couple hours.

-=jonnyrotten=-

-=jonnyrotten=-

Member 2k

• Retired Staff
  • 2,678 posts
One thing, your page file should only be set to 1 1/2 - 3 times the amount of memory you have in your system. 15,764 is waaay too much. For example if you have 128mb or ram then set the minimum and the maximum to 384. When you set them both to the same size the file never has to use system resources when it needs to make itself grow. I would set your pf to something around 510. How much ram do you have?

-=jonnyrotten=- :tazz:

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
Johnny, I hate to disagree, but that is just plain wrong.

That rule of thumb applied to windows 98, but it was a guideline that sometimes was inappropriate even then.

With windows xp/2000, you either let system manage it as a rule, or set a minimum (to reduce thrashing) if you like but no maximim. Windows will shrink the size of the pagefile when not needed, but there is no reason to limit the max size.

liloltiredblood

liloltiredblood

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts
I had no class, the teacher is sick.....but when I clicked on the first link that you gave me Gerr.....I didn't know where to download.....can you tell me which one to click on please...cause Idon't want to click on the wrong button....I did download the second link you sent me...

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
Download Process Explorer (x86 - 268 KB) - you plan on using Process Explorer on NT/2K/XP/Server 2003

on bottom

-=jonnyrotten=-

-=jonnyrotten=-

Member 2k

• Retired Staff
  • 2,678 posts

Johnny, I hate to disagree, but that is just plain wrong.

Well I'm not trying to start an argument in here, but in my experiences this has been the best optimization procedure for the pagefile. My MCSE teacher at Heald College also suggested this same procedure, and there are many links all over the net with the same info, here's one for starters.

http://www.petri.co....ptimization.htm

And another

http://www.techadvic...ge-file_w2k.htm

I guess everyone else is wrong too :tazz:

-=jonnyrotten=- ;)

liloltiredblood

liloltiredblood

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts
ok...i got work now....so ill be back tonight after work...which would be 10:30 pm my time....and ill work on it than.....

you boys are getting me confused..... ;)

so ill read from both of you laters alright....i really do appreciate you both helping me out.....thank you..... :tazz:

jus me

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts

Well I'm not trying to start an argument in here, but in my experiences this has been the best optimization procedure for the pagefile.  My MCSE teacher at Heald College also suggested this same procedure, and there are many links all over the net with the same info, here's one for starters.

http://www.petri.co....ptimization.htm

And another

http://www.techadvic...ge-file_w2k.htm

I guess everyone else is wrong too  :tazz:

-=jonnyrotten=- ;)

View Post

If everyone is stating and restating a fallacy, then yes...everyone is wrong.

FWIW, I can find lots of links that suggest that rule of thumb is bunk.

If you want to set an initial, fine...though this number is almost always set too high based on the old 1.5 to 2.5 times ram that made sense when computer had 8mb of ram. In todays 512mb or 1gb ram computers such rules are silly

The point I was trying to get across was that NO MAX should be set

If I read your post correctly, and perhaps I did not, it seems like you are advocating a static sized page file, which contradicts your link. If your MCSE instructor advocates a static page file then he needs to rethink that.

Anyway, since this problem we are working on has yielded "out of memory messages" I suspected a page file ceiling. As it turns out, there was a ceiling of 360mb (who set that?). I want to eliminate that ceiling as an issue

Whether liloltiredblood wishes to do that later is irrelevent....for now, we want a max size page file.

Here is the current rule of thumb for page files....LET WINDOWS HANDLE IT unless you have a good reason not to.

-=jonnyrotten=-

-=jonnyrotten=-

Member 2k

• Retired Staff
  • 2,678 posts
My reasoning is that under correct circumstances (when you have enough physical memory installed) you should not have to let your pagefile increase in size since that actually uses resources during the process when Windows has to actually increase the size in the middle of a task. If you set a static size then there are no changes needed. That works optimally for me. I don't see any good reason to use your hard drive for memory when more ram needs to be installed. Obviously we would both agree that ram is many times faster than any hard drive. For diagnostic purposes I would agree with you that there should be no maximum set for now. In my opinion if it is found that this is the problem I would suggest purchasing more memory for "optimal" performance, and setting a static pagefile larger than the amount of physical memory. Good luck ;)

-=jonnyrotten=- :tazz: