Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

RAM,Hardrive, and CPU

• Please log in to reply

frankthetank

frankthetank

• PipPip
  • 59 posts
Hello I want to improve my system boot speed and so other programs boot faster and run faster. So what needs to be fast my hard drive which I'm planning on buying a Raptor. Or is it my RAM I'm currently running 1 gigabyte of PC26400 the timings are 4-4-4-15. Also is it the CPU that needs to be fast I'm Currently running a E6850 Core 2 duo 3.0 GHZ. Also why is that when you have a fresh computer it runs so fast and then a couple weeks later it looses that speed.These are the things I've always wondered. Thank You.

Advertisements

jeffk813

jeffk813

• PipPip
  • 28 posts
Your CPU and Memory sound more than adequate to provide you with a fast base system. A faster hard drive will indeed help increase your boot speed, and unless you're planning on going with 10K SCSI drives, any SATA will also be a big help. What has more effect on boot time is how much stuff you have loading in the OS when it boots. On earlier boots, less programs have installed themselves into your startup folder and Registry. Check your taskbar. Does it contain a large number of icons? These are all programs tat not only take time to load on boot, but also consume system resources. Things like the Quicktime helper and such get installed automatically, but really don't need to be there and can be disabled. Paring these items down will help your boot times.

frankthetank

frankthetank

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts
Do you know any real good way to shut off those processes such as third party software.Thank You.

fenzodahl512

fenzodahl512

• Malware Removal
  • 9,863 posts
Have a read on Speed Up Your Boot by Steve Sinchak.

Do it at your own risk though.. :)

Edited by fenzodahl512, 13 March 2008 - 01:14 AM.

jeffk813

jeffk813

• PipPip
  • 28 posts
Also, have a look in the "Startup" folder in your start menu. Anything that's in there is a shortcut to an application that will automatically run when the system is booted. If you don't need it, delete it's shortcut from the folder and it will not auto-start.

Not all unneeded items are loaded from the Startup folder though. If you see an icon on the taskbar that you don't really need, you can try right-clicking the icon and looking for a "properties" menu or something that lets you configure preference for that program. Usually in there is a way to prevent the item from loading when Windows starts.

The only other way to do this is directly editing the Registry and I don't suggest you do that. If you're not familiar with what you're doing in the Registry you can completely hose your system.

frankthetank

frankthetank

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts
Thanks a lot everybody!