Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Building a new PC. CPU AMD or Intel. RAM Corsair DHX or Dominator?

• Please log in to reply

dhitchner

dhitchner

GeekU Sophomore

• Topic Starter
  • GeekU Sophomore
  • PipPipPip
  • 406 posts
Does it make a difference if I stick with Windows XP? I've tried out Vista and was very disapointed.

Advertisements

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
Other then some games requiring DX10 for certain features, no there will not be anything to be worried about currently. If a game requires DX10 (which at some point this will happen) you'll be required to purchase vista to play that game as XP doesn't support DX10.
James

dhitchner

dhitchner

GeekU Sophomore

• Topic Starter
  • GeekU Sophomore
  • PipPipPip
  • 406 posts
I heard a rumor that there may be a patch at some point for DX10 for WindowsXP. Do you know if that is a possibility?

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
Yes I heard about it as well. While it is possible, it'd be extremely complex for them to accomplish and I really wouldn't base a decision on something like will likely never occur.
James

Edited by james_8970, 14 March 2008 - 08:45 PM.

dhitchner

dhitchner

GeekU Sophomore

• Topic Starter
  • GeekU Sophomore
  • PipPipPip
  • 406 posts
OK I bought an Intel Q6600 for $200 at Micro Center and a XFX nForce 680i LTsli mobo for $130 at the same store. I think I did pretty well there, what do you think?

Now I'm looking into buying some RAM... I've been steered toward Corsair XMS2. I've found a good deal on the DHX XMS2 and the Dominator XMS2 series. The differences I see are the Dominator is ECC, 2.1V, and has Advanced Latency Settings (4-4-4-12). Where as the DHX in Non-ECC, 1.8V, and has Advanced Latency Settings (5-5-5-18).

Can you help me decide on which way to go? Are these both compatible with my mobo? From reading the manual that came with the mobo, it mentions that the slots are 1.8V so does that mean I have to go with the DHX RAMs even if I'm thinking about over-clocking it.

Thank you again.

dhitchner

dhitchner

GeekU Sophomore

• Topic Starter
  • GeekU Sophomore
  • PipPipPip
  • 406 posts
Just to let you know, I bought a Antec Nine Hundred case and a MSI 8800GT OC graphics card for this build. I'm still looking for advise on the RAM... Also do you think this is a good case and video card for me?

Edited by dhitchner, 16 March 2008 - 08:15 PM.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
Sorry for the delayed response, I'm getting hit pretty hard with school related work. All DDR2 slots are 1.8V by default.
If you are not comfortable about adjusting BIOS settings I suggest this memory.
http://www.newegg.co...N82E16820146118

Otherwise I'd recommend these.
http://www.newegg.co...N82E16820145034
The dominator RAM is good RAM, but not worth their price premium.
James

dhitchner

dhitchner

GeekU Sophomore

• Topic Starter
  • GeekU Sophomore
  • PipPipPip
  • 406 posts
This is what I was looking at. With the rebate price, I figured I couldn't beat it. Corsair XMS2 DHX

But they also have the Dominator on sale for about the same price after rebate here.

I think that I will be plenty comfortable adjusting the bios... I'm assuming your talking about over-clocking. Is that why the Dominator and the other RAM that you sent me a link to is 2.1V, because it is meant to be over-clocked?

Also, I've done some research on ECC vs non-ECC memory, and it seems ECC reduces performance by a little. What are your thoughts on this?

Edited by dhitchner, 18 March 2008 - 07:06 AM.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts

This is what I was looking at. With the rebate price, I figured I couldn't beat it. Corsair XMS2 DHX

But they also have the Dominator on sale for about the same price after rebate here.

Yes, thats good RAM for the price - and no rebates!

I think that I will be plenty comfortable adjusting the bios... I'm assuming your talking about over-clocking.

No, I was mentioning it because many users are no comfortable adjusting the RAM from 1.8V to the 2.1V that's required by many sticks.

Also, I've done some research on ECC vs non-ECC memory, and it seems ECC reduces performance by a little. What are your thoughts on this?

Stick with non-ECC memory.
James

Edited by james_8970, 18 March 2008 - 12:09 PM.

dhitchner

dhitchner

GeekU Sophomore

• Topic Starter
  • GeekU Sophomore
  • PipPipPip
  • 406 posts
This is a new motherboard and BIOS to me, so I'm not sure if it is going to have a voltage control for RAM. Hopefully it does, then I will be able to change it from 1.8v to 2.1v. What if there isn't an option to change the voltage, will the 2.1v RAM not run correctly? Or will it just be a loss of performance?

Advertisements

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
It'd be unstable. What motherboard are you considering?
James

Edited by james_8970, 21 March 2008 - 11:27 PM.

dhitchner

dhitchner

GeekU Sophomore

• Topic Starter
  • GeekU Sophomore
  • PipPipPip
  • 406 posts
I just purchased a XFX nForce 680i LT SLI

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
There will be an option within your BIOS to adjust the voltage. If you are unsure of how to do this, we can give you a hand.
James

dhitchner

dhitchner

GeekU Sophomore

• Topic Starter
  • GeekU Sophomore
  • PipPipPip
  • 406 posts
As long as it is there, I should be able to find it. Thank you very much for your help. I'm just waiting for my power supply, and then I'll have the computer completed.

cvswebdesign

cvswebdesign

• PipPip
  • 31 posts
I can give you settings for your 680i board to get that Q6600 up to 3.2GHz stable.
Now....had you gotten a little more board...say...the 780i LT I could have gotten that Q6600 up to 3.6GHz stable.
I have both setups....and both are liquid cooled.....and neither one runs the same....hahaha!

Carl

Edited by cvswebdesign, 22 March 2008 - 06:43 PM.