Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Building a new PC. CPU AMD or Intel. RAM Corsair DHX or Dominator?

• Please log in to reply

cvswebdesign

cvswebdesign

• PipPip
  • 31 posts
Just FYI...price and specs.
http://www.ncix.com/...manufacture=XFX (780i LT)

Advertisements

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
You do realize that the only main differences between the two boards is PCIe 2.0 and 45nm support, right? The 680i has just as much overclocking potential as the 780i.
James

cvswebdesign

cvswebdesign

• PipPip
  • 31 posts
James,

I invite you to come on over and get my 680i board running this Q6600 at the same speed as the 780i board. I just can't get it to go any higher....

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
Try a different CPU then, not all CPU's overclock the same. Both of these motherboards can overclock just as far.
James

dhitchner

dhitchner

GeekU Sophomore

• Topic Starter
  • GeekU Sophomore
  • PipPipPip
  • 406 posts

I can give you settings for your 680i board to get that Q6600 up to 3.2GHz stable.
Now....had you gotten a little more board...say...the 780i LT I could have gotten that Q6600 up to 3.6GHz stable.
I have both setups....and both are liquid cooled.....and neither one runs the same....hahaha!

Carl

That would be great. I don't have liquid cooling though, but my Antec Nine Hundred case has 4 case fans, and my CPU heatsink and fan are pretty descent.

Edited by dhitchner, 22 March 2008 - 06:55 PM.

cvswebdesign

cvswebdesign

• PipPip
  • 31 posts
I hate to keep beating this post....however....I also wanted to add that it seems a lot of folks are dogging the AMD processors.
I have quite a few computers, as I own a web design company and have a small hand full of employees and they each have their preference in machines and specifications of the machines. All of my AMD machines run very smooth....the latest equiped with the Phenom 9600 runs extremely well. So much of the greatness of the latest editions of PC's revolves around your video card. Both companies, AMD and Intel put out a great line of processors from the middle of the road to top of the line. The major difference is price break. AMD will destroy Intel on prices anyday....but of course that is part of their companies goal. If you're looking to game....you can really go with either company....AMD...get yourself a nice 6000+ Black Edition....Intel....get yourself the Q6600....but most importantly.....make sure you're not cheap on your video card. You'll get all excited because you got this kick a** processor and your computer boots to XP in 13 seconds with that brand new 1k RPM hard drive....but then you'll throw something like Crysis at your brand spankin new 7600 GT and start crying because you can't even see your character!! If you're going to game......don't mess around...but yourself an 8800...any version....now if you've got the cash...and just have to be the "NEW NEW" guy....get yourself the 9800 that just hit the market!!!

Anyways....I'm gonna leave this one alone now...just had to say my piece about the AMD/Intel war!

Carl

cvswebdesign

cvswebdesign

• PipPip
  • 31 posts
Google "Themaltake Kandalf LCS"....couple hundred bucks you get the case that is the size of a house...and the full liquid cooling system. You'll be shocked.....

dhitchner

dhitchner

GeekU Sophomore

• Topic Starter
  • GeekU Sophomore
  • PipPipPip
  • 406 posts
I already bought the Antec Nine Hundred case for $80 after rebate. My graphics card is a MSI NX8800GT. I got a good deal on this one also, hopefully it will perform well on any game I wish to play. In the future I'd like to get another and SLI them.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts

Google "Themaltake Kandalf LCS"....couple hundred bucks you get the case that is the size of a house...and the full liquid cooling system. You'll be shocked.....

I wouldn't touch a Thermaltake liquid cooling setup with a ten foot pool. Swiftech makes much better for the same price.
As far as AMD goes, if you overclock there is no reason to suggest AMD. AMD produces great products, but it's time they get their act together and compete more competitively with Intel.
James

cvswebdesign

cvswebdesign

• PipPip
  • 31 posts
James I agree on the half that Thermaltake's blocks are horrible. I replaced the Cooling Block on my CPU with the Swiftech block and added a Swiftech block for my Northbridge on the machine I use everyday. I actually hate Thermaltake's cooling blocks....I've had clients who had one leak all of their video card and destroy it....ended up finding out his wireless network card was toast, as well as the PCI slot it was in. Now he is running on 2 PCI slots and can't plug anything in the other one....so....love the case....love the setup....hated the blocks!

Advertisements

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
If you hate the Thermaltake blocks, why suggest that setup? They use aluminum, a big no, no. They leak, they perform poorly and are very restrictive.
Thermaltake and koolance are terrible watercooling manufacturers, though I'm sure there are many more out there.
Custom setups for the win :)
James

Edited by james_8970, 22 March 2008 - 07:12 PM.

Ryan_88

Ryan_88

• PipPipPip
  • 110 posts
cache size is also a big factor in processor speed!!!
Q6600 is a very good choice in terms of quad core CPU's!!

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts

cache size is also a big factor in processor speed!!!

Not really, the cache of this processor compared to it's dual core "predecessor" will have no effect as this isn't a native quad core design.
James

Ryan_88

Ryan_88

• PipPipPip
  • 110 posts
yes it is!
i was not talking about these 2 specific processors!!! if so i would of mentioned them by name!

however cache speed is a very important factor when it comes to processor speed, as the more 'on chip' memory you have, the less time the processor has to go fetching data from the RAM!!

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
To an extent, it's not really important at all. The AMD chips have significantly less cache then their Intel counterpart and perform just fine. There are many other factors at play then what you see on paper :)
James

Edited by james_8970, 23 March 2008 - 08:10 PM.