Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

XP Professional connecting to WiFi/Network Problems

• Please log in to reply

gotwood

gotwood

• Pip
  • 3 posts
My Wife's has a laptop from work. We can get it connected to the Internet on our Home Wireless but It will not connect to our Home Network.
Home network consists of
xp home edition desktop
xp home edition laptop
tivo service, etc.
netgear wgt624
comcast w/surfboard modem

My feeling it is that wife's operating system is XP professional-which I am unfamiliar with, and it is somehow blocking access to home network as it is a work laptop
i.e. she was laid off and they let her keep it, so work network is no longer needed

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP

i.e. she was laid off and they let her keep it, so work network is no longer needed

right click on "my computer" then choose properties, then choose the "computer name" tab...click the "change" button. is there anything in the "domain" box?

gotwood

gotwood

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

right click on "my computer" then choose properties, then choose the "computer name" tab...click the "change" button. is there anything in the "domain" box?

I got ahead of your question and maybe made a big error.
I clicked on computer name then clicked on network name
there was a choice of business network or home network
well i clicked on connect to home network and restarted the computer
now my wife cannot log onto the computer at the xp startup window

gotwood

gotwood

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
bump

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
ok well what you just did was basically unjoin whatever network it was attached to...thereby removing her user's access to the computer.....you've got a few options

#1 contact the company and see if they can get you the local admin's password for the computer (not likely to happen)

#3 contact the company and see if they would be willing to REJOIN the domain so that she can log on and back up any personal info...then reset the local admin password and unjoin the domain again

#2 format the computer and start over from scratch