Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Printer Setup - VPN

• Please log in to reply

lamy

lamy

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hello all - Can some-one help me with this issue.
Problem - We have an office which is networked - My boss working from home connects to the office via VPN. He wants it so when he remote desktop connects to his machine at Office he can print files from the office PC to come out at his Home PC

Set-up - Running XP pro on all machines - There are no windows firewall's enabled. All security (as i believe) i have changed to make this work. The Printer at his house has been shared and we are trying to 'add new printer' On the server at the Office (a network printer - where we used \\Boss'sPC@home\PrinterName

I cannot see my boss's PC(the one at home) when i \\computername\c$\ etc i cannot ping his PC either. I am assuming this is because its a VPN - so i went onto the router he uses to connect to and the firewall is enabled but i can't really turn this off - but i checked the settings against another router we have and they are the same and in the past before i started someone has managed to do this through the VPN.

Can some-one give me some possible solutions - i am out of idea's.

Thanks guys

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
once he connects to the VPN he is using remote desktop to connect to a machine inside the network right?

when he opens up remote desktop have him click the options button, then the local resources tab...then make sure the "printers" box is checked...this will connect his local printer to the remote computer so he can print to it from that computer

lamy

lamy

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thank you very much for your reply - i have contacted my boss to check this option setting.

As soon as i get feedback i'll let you know how he gets on.

Chris