Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Need motherboard advice

• Please log in to reply

someguy12

someguy12

• PipPip
  • 32 posts
As i recently posted in another thread, i am getting several new components for my Pc as it has broken. I will be getting a new processor, graphics card, ram & motherboard, however i will be reusing the old hard drive. Unfortunately, i do not have the know how to select the right motherbaord to use all of the right hardware, so was looking for advice.

The components i will be purchasing are:
Intel Core 2 Duo E4500
Nvidia Geforce 9600GT
Corsair TWIN2X 6400 DDR2, 2048MB
(note that these are not yet purchased and i could select different items)

The hard drive i am reusing is:
Maxtor DiamondMax 10 Model No 6L080P0 (80gig)

I will need a decent motherboard able to use all of the above. Additionally, the old hard drive is getting to be too small and i was told that i could hook up a second hard drive as slave for extra space, and i would like if the motherboard was able to do that as well.

Thank you.

Advertisements

Rocknrollcows

Rocknrollcows

• PipPipPip
  • 432 posts
http://www.newegg.co...N82E16813128059

this motherboard should be fine for you uses.
It isn't the best overclocker thou.

Are your HDs IDE or SATA? because if its IDE, then you'll need to either get SATA Optical drives (CD,DVD drives) or get a different Mobo.

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts

this motherboard should be fine for you uses.
It isn't the best overclocker thou.

That board is highly recommended by the overclocking community. It has not problem running my e6750 @ 3.7ghz.

I think you could do better with AMD with the money that you are spending. Modern boards only have one IDE slot so you will likely have trouble if your DVD drive is IDE as well. I think you are best off dropping it altogether. Also with SATA drives there is no "slave". '

Also something to keep in mind is that there is 9/10 chance you will not be able to keep/transfer your OS. At the very least it will require a repair install (assuming you are using XP: How to repair Windows XP.

someguy12

someguy12

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
Thanks for the replies guys, though i've just checked and it turns out that the hard drive and optical drives are IDE, which means i could probably do with a mobo with 2 IDE slots.

I happen to know that the Asus P5N-E SLI has two IDE slots (unless im mistaken) and i heard its a pretty decent board, if a little more expensive. What do you think?

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
In order to have to have a southbride of ICH5 or lower. With the release of ICH6 the southbridge only supported one IDE slot. When they put out ICH8 they dropped IDE support altogether and made it up to the MOBO manufacturer add the IDE controller. This why you will only find one on modern boards. You will not find a board with two IDE slots that supports a Core 2 Duo. Drop the IDE HDD.

Edited by Titan8990, 13 March 2008 - 08:38 PM.

Rocknrollcows

Rocknrollcows

• PipPipPip
  • 432 posts
if you really want 2 IDE, then there are still some Slot AMD motherboards out there that still have them. You will have to buy a new Proc which is more expensive then losing some files and getting a new HD.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
you can also get a PCI card that has 2 IDE controllers(up to 4 devices) even if the mobo you want doesn't have IDE at all...it does need a pci slot though....here is a link to one..
that way you can bring forward your optical drives as well as your hard drive

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
Happy, do you know if most computer BIOS can boot from a HDD or CD drive that is on an add-on controller such as that?

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
some will...but I would still go with a SATA hard drive as the first boot device because of the speed difference...the controller card is just to bring some of the legacy hardware forward...

someguy12

someguy12

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
that seems like a good solution happyrck, thanks.

I'll buy a sata drive to act as the main hard drive, and have chosen a 250gb seagate barracuda.

Ill go for the gigabyte motherboard recommended earlier.

Thanks for all your help guys.

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
Good luck :).

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
your welcome... :)