Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

my desktop has completely been wiped! HElp

• Please log in to reply

Lottie83Xx

Lottie83Xx

• Pip
  • 4 posts
My desktop seems to be missing :-( All of the files on the desktop have gone, it looks like it did when i first got it. The only strange thing i saw was a box when i was trying to log on saying something about security (wasn''t paying attention) nothing worked so i turned my laptop off. I also can't seem to restore my computer to an earlier time.
It's windows XP, i use firefox mainly, explorer seems to have disappeared. Restarting doesn't work. Turned on and off and doesn't work

PLEASE HELP ME!!!!!!!
Thank you
Lottie Xx

Edited by Lottie83Xx, 12 March 2008 - 06:00 PM.

Advertisements

Lottie83Xx

Lottie83Xx

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
UPDATE!!!!!
I did a search for the files and found them under C:\Documents and Settings\Charlotte\Desktop SOOOO they are there but just hiding from me, ALSO all the icons are missing from the task bar at the bottom.
I think i may have a virus

Xx

Lottie83Xx

Lottie83Xx

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
UPDATE - I have kaspersky and i have scanned whole lappy and no virus etc,

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Read through all of the following and see if you feel comfortable doing what it says. If not, see if any of your friends can help.

Before doing any of the following, make a backup of your registry. I suggest you install ERUNT to do this.

Your files are still there. Sounds like your user profile has lost it's connection with where it's data is stored. If you are comfortable with using regedit, try this by booting to Safe Mode by pressing F8 during boot. Login as Administrator, no password.

The key is a registry hack that redirects Windows back to the ProfileImagePath of the original profile.

Click on Start then Run, type regedit and press Enter. Navigate to

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList

Once there, you will see the SID's listed for all of the profiles on the machine. Within the Key for each SID there is an entry called "ProfileImagePath" that will look like

%SystemDrive%\Documents and Settings\UserName...

Scroll through the SID's until you find the one with the screwy name, like

%SystemDrive%\Documents and Settings\youruserid.2 (This is just an example, could be something else weird)

Just edit the Key to remove the ".2", and it will point the user back to their old profile...

Got this from TechRepublic.com. Also some excellent information here: http://www.lockergno...p-user-profile/

Lottie83Xx

Lottie83Xx

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Thanks i wil try this tomorrow
Xx