Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Netscape 7.1 Password problem

• Please log in to reply

Carol Wright

Carol Wright

• Pip
  • 2 posts
:tazz:
Win XP, netscape 7.1, comcast cable ISP
I went to comcast online to change some of my additional email settings, and I forgot my password to log on to the Comcast site. Instead of emailing me my password, it demanded that I change it after answering the mystery question. So without thinking, I changed it. Now it turns out that this is my email access password, which I had entered into Netscape a few years ago when I joined Comcast.

When I set up a new email account for a guest visiting here, I noticed that Netscape asked me to fill in the password for this new account. So there MUST be a place to change the password on Netscape's side. NO???

What I thought to do was to remove my main account...and immediately that gave me another blunder...where are the messages?? I set up a new account for me with the new password...and lo, all the email boxes disappeared. (I did find them in the Netscape Users mail folders eventually, and physically copied the desired email boxes to my new email's account's folders. At least I can now access the messages.)

However, I cannot connect to Comcast...well, it did once when I first made the new email account of mine, then it wouldn't. If it does even try, the error message says BAD PASSWORD. So...
How do I change the pw on Netscape's end for my email account? All the other aux. accounts work fine, by the way. Or is there a way to crack into the information to see what the netscape PW really is? Maybe it's easier to leave this PW, whatever it is, and go back to the Comcast site and change the password to match?

The settings all SEEM fine, by the way. Thanks, Carol

Advertisements

splintax

splintax

• PipPip
  • 54 posts

Or is there a way to crack into the information to see what the netscape PW really is?

Not really, usually passwords are checked with a "password hash" which means that there are multiple passwords that work (although most of them are meaningless, like !%526891unui52o4!^652.. etc. :tazz:). This means that there is no way to find the password... there is no way to find a password that fits the hash but you can check the hash of the password once you have it..

Carol Wright

Carol Wright

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
I have gotten back into operating mode, though there are still several "what the heck" questions about this whole thing.
I decided to try upgrading to Netscape 7.2, as the promo mentioned it had a feature to see what all the passwords were. So, I was able to see the passwords for the troublesome email accounts...and lo, there was the ORIGINAL comcast password I had forgotten in the first place. WHY, WHEN I ELMINATED THAT ACCOUNT THEN SET UP NEW ACCOUNT WITH DIFFERENT PASSWORD...why did it change back to the old password on the Netscape side? I dunno!
I went back to the Comcast My Account area and reset the password there to be the one that was on Netscape...and now it all works. It doesn't make sense, but it works now...for now.

Thanks for answering.

Carol

splintax

splintax

• PipPip
  • 54 posts
I'm sorry, but I'm really not familiar with Netscape, I can't help you further...

You may wish to post a message on the forums for that particular program but I think you will be hard-pressed to find many "geeks" that use it :tazz: most of us are using Firefox, personally I use Opera.