Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows XP SP2 Black Screen after loading bar

• Please log in to reply

Lost in cyber space

Lost in cyber space

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
Hey guys,

Okay Not sure what is going on here, I had a serious malware infection a few days ago, RatHat helped me through it and everything was fine for a day. Now I can only get into windows in safe mode. Only thing I can remember doing yesterday was downloading .NET framework. It worked fine the rest of the night but when i went to shut down the computer stayed on, with a black screen and no HD activity.

I thought that was funny but just powered it down, this morning I tried to boot up and it went to windows loading bar and looked like it was about to boot up but usually when the desktop appears it just stayed black with no HD activity.

I dont even know where to start. I would hate to have to reformat, any help would be great. No beeps or error messages just a black screen. And safe mode seems to work fine, just can't boot up into normal. i tried "last good configuration" but that didn't work eithier. Not sure what is going on.

Advertisements

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Boot to Safe Mode and do a System Restore to before the .NET install, see if that resolves the problem.

One question before you do this though. Did you delete all existing System Restore points after removing the malware? If not it's possible it may still be there, lurking in System Restore.

Lost in cyber space

Lost in cyber space

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
ZTrucker, i traced the problem to my Kaspersky AV software file called klif.sys, which seem to be in conflict with nvidia drivers, if i delete this file in safemode, i can boot up in normal. Or I can unistall the GC drivers and leave klif.sys alone and can also boot into normal. Very weird, still can't get both to work at the same time. Working with some tech's from Kaspersky right now on the issue. I had to reformat last night and everything was going great until I tried to install my Kaspersky suite, then bam, kapoo! problem back. The kaspersky installer locked up my comp and then I had the black screen problem on reboot. That is how I found out it was that file. Anyway, these tech's aren't much help so please if anyone has any idea's please let me know.

Besides of course just not using Kaspersky :)