Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

SIMS2

• Please log in to reply

mcini

mcini

• Pip
  • 4 posts
I have XP2000, 1.8 processor, 256RAM, GeForce FX5200 graphic's card and sims2 to is still running so slooow. Can any one suggest why or what I can do to fix this?

Advertisements

Rawe

Rawe

Visiting Staff

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,746 posts
Hi.
How much do you have free space on your computer?
Btw, try disc defragment.

- Rawe :tazz:

magusbuckley

magusbuckley

• PipPipPip
  • 626 posts
256 Megs of RAM is sufficient for SIMS2, but how much of that memory is unused? If you have a lot of programs running in the background and/or a lot of spyware/adware, you may not have much free memory.

Press "Alt, Ctrl, and Delete" at the same time. In the popup window, click the performance tab and have a look at what your memory is doing.

If you don't have much free memory, you might try running some spyware and adware removal software. To take it one step further, you can disable programs that load on startup by doing this:

Click "Start" and then "Run". Type "MSCONFIG" and press "Enter". Click the Startup Tab at the top of the new window. This is a list of all applications that run in the background when your computer starts. You can remove the check mark from the boxes of programs you know you can safely remove. If you aren't sure about a program, leave the box checked. Most of the application names aren't very meaningful so try looking at it's path to determine what type of program it is. After you have removed the check marks you need to, just click "OK" and then reboot the PC. When it gets back to the desktop, you'll see a message stating that your startup options have changed. Check the box that says, "Don't show this message again" and then click OK.

Now press "Alt, Ctrl, and Delete" at the same time. In the popup window, click the performance tab and have a look at what your memory is doing. If you removed some spyware, removed some adware, and disabled some background programs, then you should have more free memory available. Try running the Sims2 again and let us know what you come up with.

RAWE was also correct in stating that you should defrag you HD if it's fragmented.

Hope this helps.

mcini

mcini

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Thankyou for the advice. I'll try this. I have 103GB of free space for my memory.

Do you think it would make any differance to the speed of the loading and playing Sims 2, if I was too add any more RAM.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
yes...it would help

256mb is minimum

did you follow the other advice

mcini

mcini

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Yes, I went into the performance manager and my memory was at 154MB. I close a lot of programs on the startup and re-check performance manager. Memory is at 110MB. So I have freed up some space. The Sims2 play's a little faster now but the loading of the game is still slow and painful. It takes about 10 to 15minutes to get right into the game. Is this normal. any suggestion on how to speed the loading of the game or am I stuck with the computer's performance.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
10 to 15 minutes is a long time--Sims was always a long loading program.

More memory will help...also, did you ever set the size of your pagefile to a static size? or a limited range?

It's ok to set a min size, but unwise to set a max size

mcini

mcini

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
I do not understand how to set the size of your pagefile to a static size? or a limited range? Can you please explain.

I have been told to increase AGP in Bios? Do you think this will help.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
right click my computer, choose properties, choose advanced, choose advanced, click Setitngs button in Performance, choose advanced tab, choose CHANGE button under virtual memory,

what is checked

custom
system managed or
no paging
>

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

No, it will not help, if they mean agp aperature.

The sims loads a ton of data at the beginning so this is a harddrive bottleneck---the agp aperature sets aside part of the agp bus for texture loading for use during the game. It might improve gamer performance but not load time.

javiergil

javiergil

• PipPip
  • 38 posts
jUST AN OPINION
10-15 minutes to start being able to play sisms is too much time, either u have a virus or something. i dont think its your ram. no way i have sims 2 also and i have same prosesor and ram and is not that slow at alland my video card is crapier

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
lots of things to consider...harddrive speed, poorly made computer, improperly installed system drivers...

model of computer? Motherboard? Harddrive model? Who built it?

I would be stunned if it really took 10-15 minutes. ALthough Sims 1 did take about 4-5 minutes on a finely tuned athon xp 2000+ I was looking at.

anyone know if the Sims loads any large files form the CD? I know the cd has to be in to play....

was this a full install? Minimal install?