Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

I cant work it out

• Please log in to reply

jwardy07

jwardy07

• PipPip
  • 85 posts
Please help people, ive got a serious problem. I had a power cut yesterday, and obviously the computer went off. But when the electricity returned the computer automatically turned itself on but there was no signal to the monitor, the dvd drive doesnt have any lights or open, the keyboard doesnt work, the mouse laser is on, motherboard light is on, USB devices dont work and finally i cant turn it off, i have to take the plug outa the wall. Im in bit of a pickle because i have lots of assignments to be doing. Any help will be gratefully received, I have checked all cables, took all components out and in again. I just dont know what to do. Thanx

Jamie

Advertisements

BlackPandemic

BlackPandemic

• PipPipPip
  • 678 posts
Sounds like what happened to me a while back and I came here for the same reason :)

Mine was a brown-out (a slow loss of power, not a sudden black-out) and my computer would turn on for maybe 5 seconds then shut off. When I took it to my computer store nearby they tested the PSU and said that it was pretty much dead. If you don't have a surge protector (or some times if you do even) then power outtages and/or brown-outs have a chance to take out your power supply. If you have a comp. repair place nearby I'd take it there to have them test the PSU, or if you have a spare PSU lying about (somewhat unlikely) you can try putting that in there.

To me it sounds like although it's not completely dead, it's having a bit of trouble powering everything.

jwardy07

jwardy07

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts
Good idea, i have a spare PSU around somewhere, so i shall try that and get back to you.

Thanx

Jamie

BlackPandemic

BlackPandemic

• PipPipPip
  • 678 posts
Awesome! Sadly I've had to buy about 3 PSU's in the last 2 years due to bad black-outs and a brown-out at school. So let's hope for the best :)

jwardy07

jwardy07

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts
No luck im affraid :) Changed the PSU

jwardy07

jwardy07

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts
I have just bought a new motherboard and RAM, plugged it all together and with the PSU from first time around, still no luck, power to the motherboard but not booting. I tried the second PSU mentioned above from my other computer (what im on now) and again no luck. im running 320watts and 20plug eatx socket but that plug can provide the required 15A on +12V and the 4pin atx. I really do not know what to do or what options are left. Im going to try more PSU's but other than that :s. Any recommendations or advice would great! Its hard doing a IT degree with high memory programs with an ancient computer, im just not getting the work done.

Thanx buddies!

Jamie