Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Preparing to Clean House

• Please log in to reply

Kushu

Kushu

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Alright, I've been in the presence of computers for about 12 years or so now. For the first time ever, I now own my own computer. Not only that, I am no longer on dial up (real world, here I come!), but I also finally have a firewall. And all of a sudden, my web-browsing is slammed to a crawl. CPU usage is near 100% (though that may be because the computer is OLD (no pci-express for cool videogames, 3ghz processor, 533 FSB, and my buddy helped me figure out that the system specs actually access ram at a slower speed than that, only 333mhz?!!?) Regardless. ..

I've been following the instructions in the tutorial. I'm running SuperAntispyware now, I already picked up AVG spyware and antivirus (and anti-rootkit, but that's done nothing for me). I even read through merijn.org's guide to hijackthis and crossreferenced his chart of 'understanding the hijackthis log' with his redirection to the castlecops website to try and find which processes are confirmed viruses. All in all, if no help is available (a-la, these forums are no longer in use), I think I will be able to clean things up myself. I plan on picking up ZoneAlarm today as my firewall (Using Comodo right now) and an antivirus as well (if only so I get the mass-definition/free upgrades forever thing, and peace of mind).

I will post the logs as soon as I've finished your beginner's process.

Edited by Kushu, 13 March 2008 - 08:17 AM.

Advertisements