Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

G80 vs G92....Couple of video card questions.....

• Please log in to reply

p-zero

p-zero

• PipPipPip
  • 276 posts
Well its been a couple of years since I built my rig and Ive noticed that certain new games that have come out, mainly using DX10, my cards dont handle too well.
So I started looking around at new cards and found that the 8800GTS's have come down to the price range that Ive been waiting for. THen I read further that this was due to the G92 ? architecture.
What is the difference between G80 and G92? Is G80 PCIe x 16 and G92 PCIe 2.0? And Im assuming that you cant run a 2.0 card with just regular pciex16.
At any rate heres the card I was thinking of getting
http://www.newegg.co...N82E16814130317

I will more than likely get 2 of them for SLI :)

Thanx ,
-P.

Advertisements

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
The G92 core is just a tweak of the G80 core, it does perform better and replaced the 8800GTX on the market.
The only main differences that you'll see between these cards is the amount of RAM, there have been no changes from PCIe 1.x to PCIe 2.0. Also, PCIe 1.x and PCIe 2.0 both work together.
The 640mb version is EOL as it's the G80 core, you want to get the 8800GTS 512mb which has the G92 core.
Just a heads up, don't SLI on your PSU and what's your CPU clock rate?
James

p-zero

p-zero

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 276 posts
So I can use the pcie 2.0 x16? hmmmmm.....interesting. So are all PCIe 2.0 G92 cores? And what is EOL? And as for my PSU I know I cant SLI and hardcore cards without upgrading it..... Ill definitely reconsider what cards Im going to get. I mainly chose that one because of price.

Im not sure what you mean about my CPU clock rate. Multiplier? If thats what you mean its locked @ 9x :) (opteron). I have overclocked to dual 2.5's, but saw no real performance gain, only the temps went up. The only performace increase I noticed was with tighter ram timings (2-3-2-6) and even then it was a marginal increase.

My rig is still whippin fast, I can play most games (BF2, BF2142, FEAR, Oblivion, Ghost recon advanced warfighter, CS:S, HL2, etc.) at max settings @ 1600X1200. With only a few exceptions of recent games like crysis where everything is maxed except for shadows. Runs great until it freezes, but from what I've read thats a problem with the game engine and not my rig. The only game that Ive found that is totally unplayable was Jericho, I think I averaged a whopping 5-10 fps.

Thanx for the input james.
-P.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts

Runs great until it freezes, but from what I've read thats a problem with the game engine and not my rig.

Don't believe what you read. So many people jump to say that the coding was inefficently done when a game is more demanding then what their hardware can handle.

EOL=end of life=discontinued product

So are all PCIe 2.0 G92 cores?

The 8800GTS 512mb doesn't have PCIe 2.0

You're CPU will likely hold you back (bottleneck) from what the cards can really perform if you do end up placing them in SLI.
James

p-zero

p-zero

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 276 posts

Runs great until it freezes, but from what I've read thats a problem with the game engine and not my rig.

Don't believe what you read. So many people jump to say that the coding was inefficently done when a game is more demanding then what their hardware can handle.

EOL=end of life=discontinued product

You're CPU will likely hold you back (bottleneck) from what the cards can really perform if you do end up placing them in SLI.
James

Ive read way too many reviews of Crysis, people with some super duper whippin rigs (quad cores with 8800GTX's in SLI) that barely get over 30 FPS, and still have freeze/crash issues.

I was planning on upgrading to the FX60 CPU, fastest 939 cpu made. Either that or getting an opteron 185 (dual 2.6's), the opty's handle overclocking very well. But why would my CPU(s) hold me back? If the game is optimized for dual cores they should handle it just fine, I would imagine.
-P.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts

Ive read way too many reviews of Crysis, people with some super duper whippin rigs (quad cores with 8800GTX's in SLI) that barely get over 30 FPS, and still have freeze/crash issues.

Software should always demand more then what is currently on the market. You can't encode high 2 hours of high definition video in 1 minute and you don't hear anyone complain. The fact is that to many people except to much, if software didn't demand more than what was currently on the market, there'd be no drive for new innovative features on the hardware side of things. The 8 series from nVidia is about 18months old now, I sure hope some game can bring them to thier knees.

I was planning on upgrading to the FX60 CPU, fastest 939 cpu made. Either that or getting an opteron 185 (dual 2.6's), the opty's handle overclocking very well. But why would my CPU(s) hold me back? If the game is optimized for dual cores they should handle it just fine, I would imagine.

I wouldn't suggest such a small upgrade. You're CPU would hold you back because the GPUs can calculate more information then what the CPU can address to them.
James

p-zero

p-zero

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 276 posts
Unfortunately thats the best CPU available for my mobo. But I'm sure I can OC it to 3.0 no problems possibly higher with better cooling.
-P.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts

Unfortunately thats the best CPU available for my mobo. But I'm sure I can OC it to 3.0 no problems possibly higher with better cooling.
-P.

If you could get your CPU that high, the issue would be a very minor one.
James

p-zero

p-zero

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 276 posts

Software should always demand more then what is currently on the market. You can't encode high 2 hours of high definition video in 1 minute and you don't hear anyone complain. The fact is that to many people except to much, if software didn't demand more than what was currently on the market, there'd be no drive for new innovative features on the hardware side of things. The 8 series from nVidia is about 18months old now, I sure hope some game can bring them to thier knees.
James

I still dont think its the hardware that does the machines in. Like I said before even my comp can run it at max settings with shadows off. And in my case, it freezes. And its purely random as to when or why it does. Sometimes I play for 5 minutes and freeze. Sometimes Ill play for an hour and it doesnt freeze at all.
So when a newer rig with MUCH better video cards and CPU freeze, IMO, it HAS to be a coding issue.
Its like when youre playing CSS and you look at one spot on a blank wall and all the sudden your FPS drop to 10, for no reason whatsoever. Its just poorly made, only explanation I can come up with.
Not saying that crysis isnt a cool game, which I think it is, I think that it wasnt "finished" like it should have been.
-P.

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,579 posts

Actually, all G92 cards currently available (the 8800GT and the 8800GTS 512MB) are PCI-E 2.0 cards. Cards based on the G94 chip (currently only the 9600GT), which is a "crippled" version of the G92 chip, also use PCI-E 2.0.

Even so, it is correct that PCI-E 2.0 cards work in most PCI-E x16 slots without problems. No card can currently saturate the x16 bandwidth, much less PCI-E 2.0 bandwidth, so there is no great advantage to using a PCI-E 2.0 slot at this time.

Also, as for your Crysis crashing problems, Crysis is very, very sensitive to an overclocked system in some cases. You might want to disable all overclocks and then try to play. My CPU overclock was 24 hours stable running Orthos, but it caused Crysis to crash within a few minutes. After disabling the overclock, Crysis ran perfectly.

Edited by stettybet0, 14 March 2008 - 06:20 PM.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts

So when a newer rig with MUCH better video cards and CPU freeze, IMO, it HAS to be a coding issue.

No it doesn't.

ts like when youre playing CSS and you look at one spot on a blank wall and all the sudden your FPS drop to 10, for no reason whatsoever. Its just poorly made, only explanation I can come up with.

There is an explanation, some points in games are more demanding then others. If you look at a wall your FPS will be sky high, but if you're looking towards something that has physics and lighting calculations, performance will drop.

Actually, all G92 cards currently available (the 8800GT and the 8800GTS 512MB) are PCI-E 2.0 cards.

Yeah, I was getting mixed up with DX10.1.
James