Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

keyboard error - nonresponsive keyboard

• Please log in to reply

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Digisol, please refrain from answering questions that you have no knowledge about. If you were to check the Dell website you will find that the newer dell computers do NOTcome with any kind of PS2 ports at ALL. Please look up your references carefully before you make any judgement calls on how to fix a computer.

NOW, from the sound of things here, it seem you have borked the USB ports. Most likely you have Electrically shorted out the ports to where they do not work at all and probably will not work ever again.

Scott54 was on the right track, even if it costs a little bit of money. A 4 port USB PCI card may give you back your USB ports so a keyboard and mouse can work. Beyond that i think you are looking at a motherboard replacement.

SRX660

Advertisements

scott54

scott54

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
are you suggesting a usb to ps/2 adapter (what i would call 'converter') that plugs into one of the usb ports? the m/b usb ports seem unresponsive.

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Scott54. most new Kayboards and mouses are standard USB port type and use PS2 adapter to be able to use the PS2 ports on some motherboards. You do not have PS2 ports so you must use USB for the KB and mouse.

Heres a USB 4 port PCI card.

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16815106505

Install it and see if your KB or mouse will work. If it does work then you will not have to buy a new motherboard.

SRX660

scott54

scott54

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
thanks for the advice SRX660. I'll try the usb card first and if it doesn't help, i'll proceed with the motherbd replacement. thx.