Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Cannot download programs

• Please log in to reply

MikeDadofThree

MikeDadofThree

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I purchased a laptop on ebay that was previously used in a corporate enviornment and for some reason(as I am not that computer savey) I can not download programs because it says only an IT Administrator as this access(probably from previous owners) Is there anything I can do, any help would be apprecated.
Thanks
Mike

Advertisements

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,065 posts
XP Home or XP Pro?

Home:
Boot to Safe Mode, login as Administrator (no password).

Pro:
At the Welcome (Logon screen), press Ctrl+Alt+Del twice. That will give you the old style login screen.
Change the name to Administrator (no password)

Both:
Create a new account with Administrator privileges.
Login as the new account then delete the old account(s). DO NOT delete Administrator.

If that doesn't work there are probably Group Policy restrictions in place to prevent this kind of thing in a corporate environment. Your best bet would be to reload the computer with the Recovery CD or boot the hidden Recovery Partition.

What is the make and model of the computer?

MikeDadofThree

MikeDadofThree

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
The laptop is a Dell D400 latitude with Windows XP(both) and Intel Centrino processor...any more info needed let me know. Thanks

Mike

Edited by MikeDadofThree, 13 March 2008 - 05:52 PM.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,065 posts
Did you try what I suggested?

Edit: Looks like there is no recovery partition on the hard drive, you need the recovery CD or your own copy of XP. You can order a replacement recovery CD from Dell here: http://support.dell....o...&redirect=1 . I don't know what the cost is but it will be considerably less than buying a copy of XP and it will also have all the right drivers for the laptop.

Edited by Ztruker, 13 March 2008 - 06:11 PM.