Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

webpages slower than usual/hanging [RESOLVED]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

nashville-bound

nashville-bound

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 91 posts
Well i tried that...no difference.

More background graphics missing today while is was online and using WinAVI at the same time converting some files. I used to be able to surf the web, listen to an internet radio station thru WMP, download files on uTorrent and use my DVD burner all at once with no problem. The more programs i use at once the worse the problem gets.

Advertisements

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
OK I do not see a firewall could you install ZA free and let me know if there are any programmes that you do not recognise trying to access the net

http://www.majorgeek..._Free_d388.html

nashville-bound

nashville-bound

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 91 posts
I use the windows firewall. Should i disable it and then install this?

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
Yes please - that way I can see if there is anything unusual pinching your bandwidth

Windows legitimate functions will generally be let through but if you see any asking for access that you do not recognize please note them down and let me know :)

nashville-bound

nashville-bound

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 91 posts
I didnt see anything really unusual. There's a program called Bonjour and a Generic Host procedure that says its a part of Windows. Other than that i recognized everything else. Is Apple/iTunes helper allowed to access the internet if the they arent in use?

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
Only if you want them to, I would recommend that you remove I-tunes from start up and see if that helps resolve the problem

Please re-open HiJackThis and scan. Check the boxes next to all the entries listed below.

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [iTunesHelper] "C:\Program Files\iTunes\iTunesHelper.exe"

Now close all windows other than HiJackThis, then click Fix Checked. Close HiJackThis.

Reboot and see if you notice any improvement

nashville-bound

nashville-bound

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 91 posts
No improvement. I ran into a new problem today. I tried to view a webpage thats in PDF and each time Adobe says its encountered a problem and it has to close.

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
I think we are reaching the edges of my knowledge on this now. One thought is that you may have a file corruption there somewhere, but I would not think so. However, that can be checked out by running the ms check tool

From the Start menu, select Run.
In the Open field, type sfc /scannow (Note: There is a space between sfc and /scannow)
Select the OK button.
Follow the prompts throughout the System File Checker process.
Reboot the computer when System File Checker completes.

But if you would like to move to the experts in networking I would understand :)

nashville-bound

nashville-bound

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 91 posts
Well i ran it and it didnt give me any errors. I guess i'll move it over to the other forum.

Thanks for your help :)

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
Sorry I could not finish you off

Advertisements

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
Since this issue appears to be resolved ... this Topic has been closed. Glad we could help. :)

If you're the topic starter, and need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member with the address of the thread.

Everyone else please begin a New Topic.