Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

PC Dr HD521-2W on HP Pavilion m7434n Media Center

• Please log in to reply

ebharvey

ebharvey

• Pip
  • 1 posts
After getting some unusual activity on our machine, we went into the Startup and were going to run the system recovery. We did a Hardware check first and received the PC Dr. message HD521-2W which I understand is a Hard Drive problem.

I am pretty new at this so excuse my verbiage in case it isn't right.

I'm hoping I can do the following...any thoughts?:

1. Install a new drive to replace the old one.

2. Go into the startup and try to run the internal System Recovery onto the new drive (I think it recoveries from a segment on the D drive, which seems to be running fine).

3. Put the old drive in a new slot to see if I can pull anything off it.

Will this work? Or should I install from the system recovery disks that I have?

Any thoughts?

Thanks

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
The problem with running from the "D" drive is it is probably the same drive as your "C" operating system drive. It's just a second partition on the same drive. If there is a problem with the "C", then reinstalling from the "D" is still going to leave you with the same problem.

If you possibly can see if you can buy a recovery CD set from H-P for your computer. I was able to buy a recovery set fro a Compaq SR2011WM computer which is 2 years old for $18. They recovered the OS even after i installed a replacement drive in the computer. A side note is that the replacement drive was a close replacement to the old drive( a WD sata 320 Gig drive instead of the original WD sata 250 G drive).

I have had good luck with using Paragon Drive Copy 8 to clone the complete OS from one drive to a new drive( that was not even close to the old drive (From a 40 gig to a 160 gig). I still have this computer running to date on the cloned drive, a year later.

The last resort is to buy a new HD and then buy a OEM Windows XP CD and reinstall that way. More expensive, yes, but if there is no other alternative, what can you do.

SRX660