Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Upgrading my RAM - RAM not recognized by BIOS

• Please log in to reply

nullpo

nullpo

• Pip
  • 2 posts
My friend recently gave me two sticks of RAM he was using in his computer (512 each, 333MHz - we think). My motherboard is a intel d915gag. I currently have two 256MB sticks in it (there are a total of four slots), so I have a total of 512 at the moment. I installed the two new sticks of RAM in the left over slots. They are not being recognized by the BIOS. What is going on?

Thanks!

Advertisements

TheBrotherhood313

TheBrotherhood313

• PipPipPip
  • 127 posts
You have to use the same type of sticks or else they will not work. If they do end up working which is the case sometimes, there is usually problems with the system later on.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
go here and do a scan to what ram is compatible with your system...
mixing ram is not a good idea...

nullpo

nullpo

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
So instead I'll have to use just the two new sticks in place of the two old ones? And I can't use them together?

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
did you go to the link...is the new memory he gave you on the list..