Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Lost cd key :rolleyes:

• Please log in to reply

trnstar

trnstar

• PipPipPip
  • 100 posts
I bought an oem copy of windows xp home a while back, I still have the COA on my computer but the part with the CD key is unreadable. The top part has a some other key that I think is the Product ID or something. Is there any way I can use this product key to get my cd key back? My hard drive that I had the OS on is reformatted (because it was not bootable)

Edited by trnstar, 13 March 2008 - 08:00 PM.

Advertisements

Will_00

Will_00

• PipPipPip
  • 226 posts
You may want to check Magic Jelly Bean Keyfinder - I have never tried it, but it seems to find exactly what you are looking for.

trnstar

trnstar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 100 posts
but I reformated my hard drive... will it find the cd key from the cd itself? also I identified that mysterious number, it is the COA ID number. Not sure if it will help me out any.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
No, there is no way to get the CD Key. You will have to buy another from Microsoft I'm afraid. Cheaper than buying a new copy of XP though. I think MS charges around $30 for this.

j_bauer94

j_bauer94

• PipPip
  • 18 posts
$30? I thought it was $10? that stinks...

Thanks for the help