Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Cannot open Executables without great difficulty

• Please log in to reply

nukemben

nukemben

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
Hey, woke up this morning, renamed my world of warcraft folder, then tried to load wow through the start menu. WoW didnt load as the target directory had changed, so I right clicked the shortcut hoping to go into options and change the target directory.

I didnt read what I was doing and just went through it as I imagined I should. Trying to replicate what I did though. Where it says "Application Type" I clicked the button next to "Opens With", which is "Change" :) I then pointed it at "Launcher.exe" (Thing that opens to show news from WoW, then you click play and that runs the WoW executable). So I clicked play in Blizzards launcher, nothing seemed to happen. I thought a reboot would fix that. Rebooted, no apps have started on startup, only the blizzard launcher. Replicating what I did I changed it to open with Internet Explorer everything opened with that and tried to download themselves. Now every executable loads Opera so I managed to get here :). Does anyone know how to change it so that executables open themselves again?! Thanks!

Advertisements

rileswede

rileswede

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
try running msconfig

nukemben

nukemben

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Sure, what exactly should I be looking for in MSConfig?

rileswede

rileswede

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
There's a part called "autostart" - there's a list of all the processes that you want to start at start-up. Does that help?

nukemben

nukemben

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
I think people are misunderstanding the problem. The EXE file association is broken :) Executables are now trying to run through other programs, much like you could change the file association for .MP3's to be opened by different music players. Anyone have any idea? If there is a bit in msconfig I could not find it :)

nukemben

nukemben

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Wahey, problem solved, Thanks for trying guys!

Anyone interested the fix to the problem (for me) was found here.

http://windowsxp.mvps.org/exefile.htm

I used the .com method, did not need to try editing the registry as .com worked immediately.

rileswede

rileswede

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
Great - sorry I was barking up completely the wrong tree I believe.