Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

XP Critical Error

• Please log in to reply

rileswede

rileswede

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
Hi

Recently bought a Harry Potter game for my 4 year old son. Installed it, played it for a couple of weeks - no problem.

Tried loading it yesterday and got this Critical Error message after a few minutes:

No Label

CPU: GenuineIntel PentiumPro-class processor @ 1797 MHz with 511MB RAM
Video: ATI MOBILITY RADEON 9600/9700 Series (6648)

ReadFile failed: Count=0 Length=6195 Error=Datafel (CRC-fel, Cyclic Redundancy Check)

History: ULinkerLoad::Serialize <- TArray<< <- TLazyArray::Load <- 0 <- FSoundData::Load <- TLazyArray<< <- USound::Serialize <- LoadObject <- (Sound SoundEffects.Magic.glacius_turn_short01 330752==330752/49282767 329903 7052) <- ULinkerLoad::Preload <- PreLoadObjects <- UObject::EndLoad <- UObject::StaticLoadObject <- (Core.Class hgame.hgame NULL) <- UObject::StaticLoadClass <- InitGameInfo <- UGameEngine::LoadMap <- UGameEngine::Init <- InitEngine

(by the way "fel" as in "datafel" means error)

What is wrong?

Tried uninstalling and reinstalling - the install went smoothly, but the game still wouldn't load.

My son is fuming...

Advertisements

Kniht

Kniht

• PipPipPip
  • 236 posts
Try running chkdsk:

1. Click Start, select Run.

2. Then type "cmd" in the box (without the quotes).

3. Click Ok

4. In the command prompt that opens, type in the following command:

chkdsk c: /f /r

(Assuming it's C: drive you want to check)

5. Press "Enter".

You will probably be presented with "Chkdsk cannot run because the volume is in use by another process. Would you like this volume to be checked the next time the system restarts?" type in "y" (without the quotes).

6. Press "Enter".

7. Reboot and let chkdsk do it's thing. The process can take up to an hour to complete.

See if the game will load after running chkdsk.

rileswede

rileswede

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Thanks, I did the check disk, which the computer certainly seemed to need (it took over 4 hours).

I then defragged my C-drive, and also repaired and defragged the register using Uniblue RegistryBooster 2.

The game still doesn't work, though. The new Critical Error reads:

No Label

CPU: GenuineIntel PentiumPro-class processor @ 1806 MHz with 511MB RAM
Video: No Video

ReadFile failed: Count=0 BufferCount=1024 Error=Datafel (CRC-fel, Cyclic Redundancy Check)

History: ULinkerLoad::Serialize <- FString<< <- FNameEntry<< <- LoadNames <- ULinkerLoad::ULinkerLoad <- UObject::GetPackageLinker <- UObject::StaticLoadObject <- (Core.Class Engine.GameEngine NULL) <- UObject::StaticLoadClass <- InitEngine

What's going on?

Could the Uniblue thing be to blame?

Kniht

Kniht

• PipPipPip
  • 236 posts
If you deleted registry entries using Uniblue, see if the program has a backup of the entries which can be reintroduced into the registry. Most registry cleaners have this option. Worth a try. I use a reg cleaner called Regseeker but only to delete entries of programs I know I have uninstalled. Reg cleaners can mess up a system pretty bad. A good reg cleaner is CCleaner. Able to restore backups easily in case something goes wrong.

Also try Googling ULinkerLoad::Serialize, be surprised what you will come up with.

Try going to the website where you downloaded the Harry Potter Game and see if there is some kind of patch available.