Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Major trouble with Inspiron 6000

• Please log in to reply

WeAreSuperhero

WeAreSuperhero

• Pip
  • 3 posts
For the past couple of days, when I try to load up my laptop, something strange happens. Though it loads to the desktop, and all the icons load, I cannot click on any of the icons. In addition to this, half of the icons do not appear to find the programs they lead to and instead display a different icon. I can load up the task manager, and I see about 50 processes are running. I can open the start menu, but I whenever I click on any of the programs then the start bar freezes and nothing loads. Whenever a program does load up (Such as Avira auto-update) whenever you move the box then an image of the box sticks on the screen, such as when a computer freezes.

When I load it from its Last Good Configuration, it does the same thing, presumably because it thinks its working normally. I can load it into Safe Mode normally, though when I try to access my documents to check that they are there it shows only 'Sample Music' and 'Sample Videos'. Is this normal in Safe Mode? I have never had to use it before. The time before my computer did this, I turned it off shortly into it loading. Could this have something to do with my problem? Any help to returning my laptop to normal would be very appreciated.

Advertisements

3quilibrium

3quilibrium

• PipPipPip
  • 137 posts
Hey there WeAreSuperHero,

Here are some things i would check

1) Make sure you've ran every cleaning utlity possible (ex. AntiVirus, Malware removals, defragment, etc).
2) Disable any running services and startups that aren't necessary.
3) Check to see if you have a sufficient amount of RAM and that your CPU is not being overloaded

If these don't help at all, you could possibly have some corruption within your OS. If worst comes to worst i would reinstall the OS, but that's only a LAST resort.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,065 posts
Sounds like a corrupted NTFS file system.
  • Boot to Safe Mode
  • Click on Start then Run, type chkdsk c: /f /r and press Enter or click OK
  • Reply Y when asked if you want this to occur on the next boot.
  • Shutdown and reboot normally
Let chkdsk complete undisturbed. It can take awhile so be patient.

WeAreSuperhero

WeAreSuperhero

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
I phoned up Dell Troubleshooting, and it seems to have been caused by the incorrect installation of HauteSecure. Not sure why it was caused, but my computer loads normally now =D thankyou both for your help!