Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

restore without disc/floppy?

• Please log in to reply

jwep

jwep

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I got some kind of malicious code tangled so far into windows that I cannot even use task manager. I actually paid for a virus cleaner (mcafee w/ site advisor) becuase I heard/read good things about it. That was unsuccessful in restoring my computer to decent performance. I'm fairly certain that I'm gonna have to reload windows. That wouldn't be all too bad, but my disc drive was damaged in my latest military move to Turkey. So I guess my question is: Is there any way to load windows from a portable hard drive or something other than floppy or disc drive? Thanks in advance, whatever the verdict.

Advertisements

3quilibrium

3quilibrium

• PipPipPip
  • 137 posts
Hello jwep,

If you have another working computer you could put the hard drive you want to reload into that working computer and format the drive through that OS. Seeing as the usual installation of windows is done on CD-ROM and your disk drive is broken, that sounds like your best bet.

BillySP

BillySP

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi,

http://www.petri.co....dows_xp_pro.htm (step 2)

You can use ERD Commander to copy the i386 folder.