Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

College Majors

• Please log in to reply

Fortunas

Fortunas

• PipPip
  • 38 posts
Hello everyone,
I am currently a sophmore in high school, so I am starting to think about what colleges I want to go to, and what I am interested in studying. My question is, I know I want to pursue a career in computers, either in engineering, or computer science, but I am wondering what would be the right majors to pursue in order to be best prepared for any future jobs. I know its kind of vague but any ideas would be great, I am not sure exactly what I want to do yet, but I know it will be computers/technology based.
Thanks for any suggestions
-Fort

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
ANY time you're anticipating a career in any technological field...you absolutely have to nail down a desired career before you get into it....something as broad as "computer science" as a major...won't really equip you for say a network admin job, or a programming job.....and a degree in basic programming won't really give you the tools to do advanced game programming etc.... so the first thing you need to do is decide what you like about computers, what kind of job has that as the majority of it's work....if you generalize too much...then you'll either be ill equipped or ill prepared for the work

Fortunas

Fortunas

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
Thanks for the quick response. And I am definitely more inclined to pursue a career in more practical implementation, such as IT or security, rather than programming and such. If that helps at all. Basically I am more interested in hardware, rather than say creating software.

TheQuickBrownFox

TheQuickBrownFox

• PipPipPip
  • 714 posts
I suggest a major in Networking. From there you can choose to specialize in security or communications. But that doesn't mean you miss out on other things like programming. Besides, it'd be great if you have the necessary technical skills and knowledge in a world with the Internet as it's backbone.