Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Winxp logginng off

• Please log in to reply

dejyx

dejyx

• Pip
  • 1 posts
winxp logging off on my dell inspiron 6000 laptop. I felt it was a virus problem went into windows in safe mode scanned wit Avg. It detected about 28 viruses and there was a change in kernel32.dll. when i tried to boot the problem of immediate logging off still persisted. I tried to go into safe mode it was impossible. I ran repair from console, tried a system restore from console but couldnt solve the problem. Anyone knows how I can get my laptop to boot completely?

thanx

Advertisements

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Boot your XP CD. If you don't have one download either of these and create a bootable CD from the .iso file

XP Recovery Console
Another XP Recovery Console

You don't burn the iso file itself to CD., you create a CD from the iso file using your CD burning software. There is a good freeware burner called DeepBurner which will do this. Another called ISO Recorder is also very easy to use.

Boot the CD and at the first opportunity, enter R to start the Recovery Console.
Next, choose which XP installation you want to login to. Normally this will be 1.
Lastly you will be asked for the Administrator password. Just press the Enter key as the Administrator does not have a password (unless you gave it one, then you would enter it).

From the command prompt, enter: chkdsk c: /r

Allow chkdsk to complete undisturbed. This can take awhile so be patient.

When it completes, reboot to the Recovery Console again. Now copy the kernel32.dll file

From: C:\WINDOWS\system32\dllcache To: C:\WINDOWS\system32

Do a normal boot and see if that fixes it.

If that doesn't resolve the problem, your Inspiron 6000 should have a hidden recovery partition on the hard drive, mine does. You get to it by pressing Ctrl+F11 at boot, see attached image.

[attachment=19213:e510restore.gif]

The above is included in the Users Guide that I downloaded from support.dell.com.

It supports a non-destructive Repair Install and a destructive (format the hard drive) Clean Install. Do the Repair Install.

Note: This will not lose your personal data but you will need to download and install all the Windows Updates again and will have to reinstall some software.

Not what you want to hear I'm sure but at least you have a path to recovery.