Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows XP wont start after using SUPERAntiSpyware

• Please log in to reply

Blinkers

Blinkers

• Pip
  • 5 posts
I couldn't get past my home page when I opened internet explorer on my PC because the pop-ups were so bad, so I used my lap top to download FixIEDef, ATF_Cleaner, and SUPERAntiSpyware software and burn them onto a CD and use them on the PC with Windows XP.

FixIEDef came out completely clean.
ATF_Cleaner worked fine.
SUPERAntiSpyware seemed to work perfectly until I had to reboot. The machine shut down and attempted to boot up and I keep coming back to a black screen which says "We apologize for the inconvience, but Windows did not start successfully. A recent hardware or software change might have caused this." It gives me five options I can chose from: "Safe Mode", "Safe Mode with Networking", "Safe Mode with Command Prompt", "Last Known Good Configuration(your most recent settings that worked)", or "Start Windows Normally"

I've been trying "Start Windows Normally"

Advertisements

Mike

Mike

Malware Monger

• Retired Staff
  • 2,745 posts
Well try it with "Last Known Good Configuration(your most recent settings that worked)".

Edited by Suerte, 14 March 2008 - 04:12 PM.

Blinkers

Blinkers

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
okay, I did what you suggested, and it seems alright now. I just wasn't sure if doing that would have reversed the work I just did. Thanks for the quick response!

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Hi Blinkers. Some suggestions.

1. Clean out System Restore then create a new restore point
  • Click on Start, Programs, Accessories, System Tools and finally System Restore.
  • Click on System Restore Settings on the left.
  • Check the "Turn off System Restore on all drives" box and click the Apply button then the OK button.
    Wait for it to finish. This will delete all existing restore points.
  • Uncheck the "Turn off System Restore on all drives" box and click the Apply button then the OK button.
    This will enable System Restore and create a new restore point
2. Install ERUNT. Let it add an entry to your Start menu during the install process. That will allow ERUNT to backup your registry each time you boot. It only takes a few seconds and has no real impact on boot time. Run ERUNT immediately after installing it to create a full registry backup.

3. Re-run SuperAntiSpyware as using Last known good may very well have put back some registry entries that you don't want. If problems occur again, you can use the ERUNT restore process to restore the registry or run System Restore.

Blinkers

Blinkers

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
I tried to open System Restore how you told me to and a box poped up telling me that system restore wont be able to help at the moment and to restart my system and try it again. I'm not sure, but I don't think that's a good sign...
Anyway, I've just rebooted the system and system restore seems to be fine now. I did what you suggested and now I'm about to install ERUNT. I'll update when I've finished rerunning superantispyware

thanks!

Edited by Blinkers, 14 March 2008 - 08:50 PM.

Blinkers

Blinkers

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
The first thing that happened as soon as I tried to open ERUNT was an error message saying

"Unable to execute file:
C:\Program Files\ERUNT\README.TXT

ShellExecute failed; code 5"

Once I clicked ok another box poped up and this one says "Welcome!" and gives me a brief description of the program so I can only assume the other one wasn't too important. I just mentioned it to be sure its not something horrible that you would want to know about.

anyway, I did all you suggested and it did find like 30 things which were added back..but it seems to be taken care of now. thankyou!

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
I believe that is a VBS error message (Visual Basic Script). Try installing the latest Visual Basic Runtime from Microsoft.

Could also install the latest Windows Scripting Host.

Or ... do nothing if no other problems surface. Just make a note of these for the future.