Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Reformatting

• Please log in to reply

eshasiacutie

eshasiacutie

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I tried using my friends windows xp disk to reformat no sucess i forgot my password and lost my recovery disk. Now the laptop comes up with error in operating system and when i put in the disk it won't read it. Please help I just would like to wipe out everything and start fresh.

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
What is the error that you have. It may be able to be fixed. It is much easier to do that then set the laptop to boot from the CDrom in the BIOS, then wipe, reformat, reinstall windows and then go looking for all the drivers you need. You may have problems finding the drivers also. I take it you cannot do a restore, or get into safe mode to do any repairs. True? There are password programs that work off CD's if you can look for them. Can You log on to the computer via safe mode, use the administrator username and a blank password to log on to the computer? If not you make have to go thru the reinstall ordeal.

SRX660